Thread: Firewalls

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firewalls

Just wondering, if I had to run AVG 2013 Internet Security, which would be the better to use,
    Windows Firewall or AVG Firewall? If they both ran would there be a clash?
    Thanks
    Dave

Thanks
    I am using just the AVG AV 2013, not the whole suite. I am using the Windows Firewall very successfully with AVG AV 2013. I guess I do not wish to pay the extra for the whole suite. Perhaps others who use the whole suite can chime in here, but in the past, with other apps not AVG, the suites tended to use more resources than I liked.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Seems odd that they wouldn't include a reference to the firewall in their specs for AVG Internet Security 2013. In the absence of info, it's impossible to say whether it's better than the Windows firewall. A quick online search is not that flattering : http://www.combofix.org/avg-internet-security.php

Regardless of that, if you are replacing the Windows firewall for another firewall, you need to have a reason. Windows firewall seems to be good, but the UI is quite bad, IMO. Unless you want a better UI, I would only replace the Windows firewall with a HIPS, which clearly is not the case with AVG's firewall.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Generally it is not recommended to use more than one firewall on a computer.

The security of the computer is not enhanced if you install additional firewalls. It is more probable that some conflicts between these two applications will occur. We recommend that you use only one firewall on your computer and uninstall others, thus eliminating the risk of possible conflict and any related problems.

Note: Windows Firewall is automatically disabled when installing AVG with the Firewall component. If you uninstall AVG, the Windows Firewall is automatically enabled again.

FAQ Technical FAQ AVG 2013 Computer Protection Firewall Is it possible to use more than one firewall?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Note: Windows Firewall is automatically disabled when installing AVG with the Firewall component. If you uninstall AVG, the Windows Firewall is automatically enabled again.
    Another note: 3 times I've seen problems with software failing to access the internet with a 3rd party firewall installed that were all fixed by re-enabling the built-in firewall and then trying the software again - a box pops up from Windows' firewall asking to allow ... after which, the firewall can again be disabled to ensure no conflict with the 3rd party one. The software has then continued to behave as expected.

It's likely that there was 'something' else involved - multiple network cards, a history of using both public and private networks - I really don't know, it occurs so rarely that I've not remembered in time to try to dig deeper before trying that quick fix.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to all for all the advice and tech. info.
    I will just leave my PC as is, MSE, Windows firewall and Malwarebytes Pro.
    Regards
    Dave