5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hiding total field in report

I have a report in MS Access 2010, running on Windows Server 2008 R2, that includes the following field in the footer, to display the total of values in the [OrderValue] column.

=Sum([OrderValue])

This has been working fine for years, but recently, it started intermittently not displaying, but I found that it always displays when the report is exported to PDF or Excel, of when the user presses Shift+F9 to restart the report and reruns it, or if the user presses Ctrl+End to jump to the end of the report. What could have caused the field to start hiding intermittently?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you export the report it probably reruns the associated query. If you use a macro to print the report add Ctrl-End or a refresh to the instructions. Debugging an intermittent problem can be a real pain. It may have nothing to do with Access and be something going on with the printer driver.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another possibility you might look at is that one or more of your order values has no value (i.e. is null). To avoid that problem, use the Nz() function to replace nulls with zero.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought of that too Wendell. I used to set my queries up to automatically put a zero in a null field because of it. But that would not explain the sum appearing in the pdf export.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

I have also since discovered that the same issue also happens with other reports that have similar totalling fields. If the report has only one totalling field, then Ctrl+End will unhide it; if the report has more than one totalling field, then clicking on each of the others unhides them.

I have tried running the reports with various data selections, and the issue occurs even when the summed column contains no null or zero values.

When I said that the issue was intermittent, I meant that it never used to happen but now it always happens, even though the report designs have not been changed. I am now wondering whether this is a bug in Access that has been introduced in a recent Windows update.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you recently installed SP2 of Office 2010?
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bingo ... as it happens, a Windows update was scheduled for this morning, and it included SP2 for Office 2010, which appears to have resolved the issue.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, the Access fixes in SP2 are generally undocumented, so it's hard to know exactly what happened.
    Wendell