Thanks

Windows Defender Offline has been Updated

I've posted this same information as a reply in another thread, but I want to give this its own thread.

Windows Defender Offline has been updated, and evidently the protocols used have been as well. I have an older version 4.0.1114.0 which will no longer update. It's a Windows 7 WinPE based WDO. The version to which I've linked is 4.3.215.0, which is a Windows 8 WinPE. My older version will no longer update the definitions.

I've burned the new one to CD. If you have Ethernet broadband, a CD WDO will connect and update the AV definitions; I don't know about wireless, I haven't tried it. I know that MS says a USB can be used to update the definitions, but a CD can do that as well through Ethernet. I just tried it for my own confirmation.

Bear in mind that once booted, the PC is using WinPE in a RAM drive and not constrained by the CD. WDO connects and updates flawlessly, even though it's booted from a CD.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bruce,

Thanks for the link! I just created a new USB Key on my Win 8 Pro UEFI/Secure Boot desktop and it booted and ran just fine.
    I've also booted my Win 7 BIOS laptop from the same key and it's working well also. Just thought y'all would like to know.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs