New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 to Win 8 Pro

I have a "leftover" Windows 8 upgrade license. These are the ones that were $40 back before Jan 31. My understanding is that they will still work for upgrading earlier OSs (e.g. Win 7) to Win 8 Pro.

I just bought a new Dell desktop that came with Win 8 and I want to upgrade it to Win 8 Pro. Is there any way that I can use that upgrade license instead of paying the $100 to do the online upgrade from Win8 to Win8 Pro?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Canerican,

You sure can just do it. I actually moved an Win 8 Pro update (the cheap one) from my old Dell to my new Dell XPS 8700 w/o a problem. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great! This is actually a "virgin" upgrade (not used before) so I guess I should have no problem going from Win 8 to Win 8 Pro. I wonder why the documentation only talks of Win 7 and lower.

Thanks
    MS has assumed that anyone wishing to Upgrade will be going from XP or Win 7 to Win 8 Pro. Unfortunately most new PCs are coming with Win 8 Standard installed. The other way to upgrade is the Win 8 Pro Pack. I believe Win 8 also comes with all versions and the key determines which version is activated. I believe the Pro Pack gives a new key to use to activate the Win 8 Pro features already present.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by canerican View Post
    I just bought a new Dell desktop that came with Win 8 and I want to upgrade it to Win 8 Pro. Is there any way that I can use that upgrade license instead of paying the $100 to do the online upgrade from Win8 to Win8 Pro?
    canerican,

Hello.... Don't want to be a "Wet Blanket" here but .... I have read that some ( with Win 8 OEM) have had a problem with doing this ... It's the "Secure Boot" ...Won't except anything but the default Key that came with your OS ... There are " Work Arounds" If this pertains to you ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    If it works in a similar fashion to Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade, the only thing necessary should be to click on the upgrade option (if it's there) and then put in your Pro key. That's the way I went from OEM Windows 7 Home Premium to retail Windows 7 Ultimate.

As I said, I don't know if the same system is used, but the OEM Windows 7 simply accepted my key, rebooted and came up Ultimate after a few minutes. I didn't need any media at all.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded a new Win 8 Acer AIO from a previously used upgrade offer too. No problem other than it not activating until I called the US phone activation number, told them it had only been installed on one computer, and did the long number string drill. Worked fine for both the Pro, and the Media center upgrades at the time. A few weeks later my computer decided that Windows was not activated and a two day MS answer desk effort ensued which involved doing a remote assist and forcing the system to upgrade using the Pro license key I had, but another Media Center license had to be issued because for some reason the one from the upgrade offer for free was no good.

Great support from MS by phone, great level 2 tech who called on time and stayed with it. Big advantage for folks who bought the 40 dollar, or the 15 dollar in my case offers direct from MS as they know it is legit. I have one more leftover license of four bought, and have not decided where or when I will use it. Be aware it may deactivate. Mine did it when I used the store and it was a UEFI issue. BTW, Acer customer support was useless when, after we did a work around to get into setup with MS techs, I wanted to change the bios so it would allow a boot from the USB drive that the factory restore media creator insisted I use. The first level tech in India was screen reading and clueless. The supervisor kept insisting rudely that I needed to just follow his directions and he refused to acknowledge that the wireless keyboard was not loading in time to send a delete key stroke in time. After no help from them and using change settings to get into setup, they insisted my boot screen was not correct and when I read the boot screen top to bottom the guy got furious when I told him he needed to call his folks and get their screens for the new bios' in line with what their customers are seeing. I have set up "legacy" support on my tablet and have already restored its image twice. I plugged in a wired keyboard and sure enough it booted into setup with the delete key. I am researching the bios settings with the bios folks next. You would think that since the wireless keyboard and mouse come with the computer, they would know that a wired keyboard is needed. I was cool with the arrogant rude level two guy because he was in his own world and apparently has similar situations come up regularly. Acer my have passed Dell at the bottom of the customer service heap where they were last time I checked. HP was surprisingly up there with MS as far as escalating to the level that knows what they are doing when my Envy X2 stopped charging.

Busy month.

So be aware if you do have activation issues with the promo offer upgrades bought from MS, MS will resolve them, but it can take a couple of days doing updates and renewing Windows while saving apps and data. And if your computer came with a wireless keyboard and you can't get into setup to allow a new system OS boot, try a wired one.
    Last edited by Derek Jr; 2013-09-05 at 12:51.