Thanks

Unhappy A Sneak Look at Windows 8.1RTM

Woody Leaonhard has written an interesting article at InfoWorld having had a sneak look at a "pirate copy" of Windows 8.1 RTM. His comments are not very heartening. Here is the article:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...-81-rtm-225925

(I suppose we must just wait for the actual release of the product and find out for ourselves(?)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I can feel Woody's frustration from here! Who knows if it's actually the real RTM though. One thing I continually see though are the Microsoft eyeballs that are going to be pressed to every keyhole in every doorway they make. Anyone who thinks rightly or wrongly about how Google invades privacy...ain't seen nuth'n yet!!
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Woody's comments about anything Microsoft are seldom heartening. He has disagreed with almost everything Microsoft has done after Office 2003 & XP.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "We're looking at the dented and rusted carcass of a 20-year-old Ferrari, welded to a shiny new tow truck. Meh." Vintage Woody!

Thanks
    There seems to be a lot of sobbing for features that aren't that good to begin with, like, backup and restore, and libraries, to name a few. RIP.

And there's STILL quite a bit of incessant whining about the lack of MS instituting a start menu similar to it predecessor operating systems,
    something for which 3rd party creators have done a well enough job to fill.

Woody, go and install Ubuntu, like Bob did, and just quit whining already.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with most of that. The only problem I see there is when features come and go or get deprecated to such a degree that they might as well be gone, so quickly, Microsoft starts to look philosophically like a chicken without a head. Are they building a better product or chasing some magical usage formula to try and stay current and relevant even as they slip further into the very profitable but boring arms of enterprise services? This is what we get when a company is chasing the curve instead of being out in front of it, like Apple was for a good solid 4 years or so with the advent of the iPhone. Will they catch up? Maybe, but there'll be plenty of missteps and bruises to go around in the meantime; that's what produces a malcontent community. "Whining" as it's put, is the vanguard of a movement in a community that either finds widespread support or doesn't and that will reflect in other measures if it's strong. From what I see, it's pretty darn strong and sooner or later, one has to bend to that consensus or will or they really will leave. We're not close to that point yet and as always, it'll probably be enterprise that has the final say because originally Microsoft seemed to be saying (or maybe it was just the pundits) 8 was a user-oriented OS, but everywhere I turn now they seem to be saying business, enterprise, business.

p.s. And what does it say when I have more fun using a 14 year old MS OS than a one year old one...actually I misplaced my Win8 VM at the moment and found this one and it's been working surprisingly well, only actually crashing once so far.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-09-04 at 01:34.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    What continues to amaze me is the (continually growing) large number of complaints about the Windows 8 user interface that one sees in numerous forums (fora?). And Windows is not the only new Microsft product that is being slammed: Office 2013 is being heavily criticised for its "bland" appearance (only 4 very similar, pale basic themes to choose from). I have counted over 400 complaints in just one forum. There is one response from Microsoft to the effect that they "take note of the comments" but have "no plans to change anything in the near future". So it seems they intend to go ahead with whatever their "plan" is, regardless of mounting criticism. Either they are very confident that they know what they are doing, or they are just plain reckless. Only time will tell...
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.