Thread: RIP MS Money

Thanks

RIP MS Money

Hey Y'all,

FYI! MS Money officially passed away today.

Well almost. I got a rude awakening when I went to update Money with values from my month end investment statements. Everything worked just fine until I tried to switch to Portfolio view then I got the wonderful message that "MS Money has stopped working!" then the program exited. All the features seemed to work except for portfolio view.

Well I knew that MS has put out a "Sunset Version" when they stopped selling Money. I had tried that earlier but it wouldn't update the Stock prices so I stayed with the version I had installed, until today. So I installed the Sunset Version and all is well again except at the end of every month I have to MANUALLY update the stock/mutual fund prices. No biggie as I like Money and I'm not about to go back to Quicken and have them sunset me every couple of years.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    @RetiredGeek: Agreed. Yes, I also remained "loyal" to Money and now have to do my portfolio management manually. My other accounts can still be updated by download from my bank. I tried moving everything to the latest version of Quicken about a year back and it was a disaster, despite reports that it would be "easy". (Any way, recent versions of Quicken are (apparently) designed only for the US and British markets and cannot link to local banks out here in South Africa; nor can Quicken accept imports in .qif file format downloaded from local banks (as in the past). SO: It's Money for me into the future!
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Don't give up on MS Money just yet. An ex Microsoft employee is working on getting the stock prices working again.

Here is a link if you want to stay in the loop.

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpre...quote-updates/

Oh yes, I have figured out a way to get the Cash Flow screen working again. Its happened three time to me and I've worked out that its a corruption in the Category Table and Account Register. (no nice error messages to work from just a bit of trial an error I'm afraid)

If anybody's interested, I outline how to find it in another post.

Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisso For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2014-04-26)

Thanks
    Chrisso,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

Thanks for the Link!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs