Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

What are the best online storage options?

What are the best on-line storage options?

I have been using Just Cloud for my on-line storage. However, I think it is a scam trying to force users to buy more expensive options.

I need at least 100 MG storage, perhaps unlimited. I am thinking about Crashplan + I like that option because it would include storage for multiple computers Ėthat I have with my children.

However, at some level, I donít think I should trust anyone with all these files unless it is an established company such as Google, Microsoft, Norton or Dropbox. However, they arenít as inexpensive and donít have as many options.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I have been happy with Sky Drive for the limited usage I have used it for. I have put files that I share with others, but do not feel comfortable putting secured files there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Sky Drive and Drop Box are popular (there are, of course, others but I do not have experience of them): In all cases, I believe one should not save secure/sensitive data in the cloud.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Depends. Some storage places have you download a client or browser plug-in that encrypts your files before sending them - you only have to decide if you trust the company, and let's face it, a company that peeks into people's files isn't going to be around long.

Else encrypt the files yourself before uploading them. This works fine if you don't want to share them or sync across several devices. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...on-utility.htm seems a good place to start finding a useful utility.

Also, for years, long before they renamed themselves "snapfiles", I've been using that site for useful, dependable, editor- and user-reviewed programs. Most, if not all the downloads and installers are clean - no hidden riders. http://www.snapfiles.com/ has free and paid programs. I've found them to be almost always better than, say, cnet or many of the other Windows download sites. An exception is Major Geeks, they're usually pretty good also.

If you just need 5GB or so of storage, there are several places - "copy" is one.

I use Drive, copy, and Crashplan which work well for my needs. Lately I've been using Seahorse on my Ubuntu desktop for PGP. I don't have anything on my XP vm that needs any of this, at least right now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kermidge For This Useful Post:

JSwanson (2013-09-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this. I need a sginificant size for storage. I have read quite a bit about Crashplan. Several commenters have said the upload of files is extremely slow. Has that been your experience?

Thanks
    Just a question:

Where is the Cloud? US, EU, or maybe even China or India! How would you ever know?
    Your data is NOT SAFE, unless you know for sure where it is and who is in charge of it. Eh?
    User info has been stolen from very large companies, like AOL, which you'd normally think was safe.
    It's only really safe if it's in YOUR possession.

I want to keep all my personal info CLOSE, and so I use a 1TB external drive and a 32 gig Flash drive, to back up all my important files.

I added a Five-Port, USB-3 card to my desktop PC, so I could use USB-3 devices, (much faster than USB-2)
    Both of my backup drives are USB-3. Backups only take a few seconds and I don't even have to be on-line.

Just a suggestion!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

dkmac (2013-09-15),kermidge (2013-09-06),Slay (2013-09-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As of a week ago AT&T was still running a promotion where you could get 50 GB of cloud storage free, as described at http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...news&tag=title

Secure enough if you encrypt it reasonably. Probably safe enough if you also store it in a second independent location.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I use Cubby (around $48 for 100 GB + 5 they add free). Works very well and I don't find it slow. Cubby is from LogMeIn, a well known, US company.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend Carbonite. http://www.carbonite.com/. $59.99/year gets you unlimited GB and even comes with its own software (like many others) to automatically backup to the cloud.

When I decided to go with Carbonite I also looked at some of the competion. http://www.thetop10bestonlinebackup.com/cloud-storage

12. The Following User Says Thank You to James S For This Useful Post:

kermidge (2013-09-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Lot of good posts, great!

Cloud = other people's servers. Speeds tend to be slow and slower.
    Treat storage kinda like backup - local, external, off-site, protected off-line site.
    Anything you don't want someone reading, encrypt.
    I use the free GBs offered here and there because that's what I can afford right now.

I'm down to a small external drive, need a couple of TB really (I've got over twenty years' accumulation of stuff that I swear I'm going to winnow Real Soon Now), but budget is tight. I'd feel better having an external enclosure I could grab if the house is burning or something.

Along with a portable OS and a raft of utilities, for the nitty-gritty really truly needful private stuff, password cache and one-time logins for LastPass and Google, financials, along with a copy of my will and such, I've got a thumb drive on a lanyard worn around the neck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Carbonite (www.carbonite.com) provides (I think) good value for money if you simply want online archiving. It provides unlimited storage for a fixed price but the license is for a single computer. I swear by SpiderOak (spideroak.com) for a complete solution. It is not as cheap per GB, you pay for 100 GB blocks. But it provides a robust, secure service. As well as storage, you can use it to sync between computers (which it does brilliantly) and share files with others. You can install it on as many devices as you want, so multiple people can backup to the same account. I have found it to work flawlessly so far (~ 1yr) which is not the case for other services I have tried.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't recommend Carbonite because its default settings make it a system hog. I do recommend Mozy. It allows you to specify your own encryption password (DON'T forget it!) and it allows you to recover previous versions of documents (up to 30 days). Initial backup is SLOOOOW ( in your case, 100 GB+, probably WEEKS) because upload speeds are so much slower than download speeds. Subsequent backups take only minutes, however. And the default settings are set-it-and-forget-it. See my blog for more on this: http://blog.comphelpco.com/. Thank you.

Lounger
    Thanks

Horses for courses

I use several different cloud storage providers.

The most convenient is Dropbox, easy to set up, easy to share, easy to add more space by recommending others, you get 500MB free space for each new user added, and it is quick to sync. It is not one I use for high security as the encryption doesn't happen until it gets to the cloud servers. I use it primarily to share folders with different groups/clubs. I have got about 18GB of free space but I am only using about 3GB with some of it shared with as many as 30 other people. One of the shared spaces is used by just 3 of us for the club accounts working copy while the backups are kept on the club treasurer's PC as well as informal copies on mine.

SkyDrive I find OK for static stuff like picture sharing but I find it tediously slow to update. I put stuff there to archive and encrypt with TrueCrypt or Axcrypt sensitive/private files before uploading them. I use the same encryption for some files on Dropbox.

The most secure I use, but least flexible is Wuala by LaCie the Swiss manufacturer of backup/nas and Bluray/DVD drives. Storage is in Switzerland and subject to strict Swiss privacy laws that make EU and US privacy look weak. All encryption is done on your PC so if you loose/forget your password you loose your data. You get 5GB free. This one is set up just to look like another hard drive on your PC but it can't be mapped to a folder and unless you load it automatically at boot up, it sometimes doesn't use the same drive letter which makes it difficult to use in automated scripts.

Another I have tried but didn't find as convenient is SpiderOak and is expensive for more than the free 2GB and is clearly targeting business users.

One of the most useful features of cloud storage I find is getting access to the information from multiple devices including smart phone and tablet when I'm away from home, for this Dropbox and SkyDrive are the easiest to use. Also for sharing large files that exceed the size limit for some email servers (which can be as low as 1MB and often 5MB).

As has been said before you generally don't know where your data is being stored, even which country, you don't know who has access to the encryption keys/passwords and you don't know how long they might be in business. Wuala is the only one where you have the only encryption key and data is stored in Switzerland. Make sure that you keep copies of everything within your own systems, but don't get paranoid. The cloud is a convenience if you are aware of its limitations.
    Expert help is less costly than inexpert help

Lounger
    Thanks
    Trusting the 'cloud' to secure and protect your documents is like giving your bank account to a friend of your neighbors cousin because they promised to keep it safe for you.
    But hey... maybe they actually will.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that first, you should identify what you want. Several people have commented about various syncing tools. These include Dropbox, Cubby, Skydrive, Spideroak, Box, etc. The syncing services keep a folder online in sync with one on your computer. In addition, you can join a second computer to that same folder. This allows you to have a copy on your laptop, get it into the cloud, and have it sync to your desktop. These services tend to sync relatively quickly because they are used by people to keep their files in sync in real time.

Back up services like Carbonite, Crashplan, etc are designed for files to be backed up online. The assumption is that you run it in the middle of the night and don't care about speed as long as it gets done. These services are not designed for sync. It's more like disaster recovery only. These services are usually less expensive than the syncing tools and they have a different set of options.

You should decide what you need before you get started. Microsoft offers 7G of SkyDrive free. I think that this is the largest free offering from a major vendor. Most of the others are 2-5 Free. There is a free trial for CrashplanPro. Try them both and see what fits your needs.

As far as your machine being more secure than the cloud, well it is. But, I do my banking online. I have all of my credit cards online. Every bill I pay, I do it online. I suppose that someone could hack my Skydrive or Dropbox account and read my work documents but I don't work for the CIA. I probably wouldn't upload a list of all my credit cards with all of their usernames and passwords, but for my regular work files, I don't really care. Those of you that say that you will not use the cloud should also be mailing paper checks to pay bills, and avoiding setting up any online access to your credit cards. I suppose that you can live that way but I choose the convenience of having that data
    available to me on all of my devices, in perfect sync, all of the time. I also like the ability to log into any account and review statements and pay bills.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast