New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 reinstall

I installed Windows 8 Release Preview when it became available and later upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro in January this year and it has worked well. Now the disk doesn't work properly so I want to reinstall Windows 8 Pro on a new disk (same pc). How can I do that? Can I make a clean installation from the Pro upgrade or do I need to reinstall the Release Preview first and then upgrade. BTW, is it even possible to reinstall the Release Preview now after the test period has expired? Any suggestions? TIA / Anders

Thanks
    Did you burn a DVD disk with that original installation?

If all you have is the original installation then you can install it, enter it's product key, then select "Get more features with a new edition of Windows", (located
    under "system"). Then select "I already have a product key", ...for the pro edition you upgraded to in January.

In the future always burn to a DVD disk, or have the downloaded ISO readily at hand so that you may create either a USB or DVD disk.

Clean Install
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

pedand (2013-09-03)

Thanks
    Does the old disk work well enough o make an image backup? If so, create a new image and restore it to the new disk.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I have burned a DVD from the installation data so I can reinstall from it. I will try your Clean Install info after buing a new disk.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I am not able to make an image. I've tired Acronis True Image but it fails with error messages.

Thanks
    Which version of Acronis? I use Acronis True Image 2013 and it works VERY WELL for me. The earlier versions are not compatible. If you are using 2013, try booting to the Acronis Boot Disk and creating your Image from there. That's how I always do it. If however you suspect there may be an issue with Acronis and Win 8 because of the disk, the Clean Install would be the best option.

As a side note, I see Acronis has released True Image 2014. 2013 is working so well for me that I suspect I will not be interested in 2014 at this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    @Medico: Agreed, Ted. I have compared using the Acronis TI Boot Disk to backup/restore from with using TI within Windows and have, on one occasion, had a problem with the "internal route" not working. I can't be sure that the failure was BECAUSE I used the internal method, but I now always use the TI Boot Disk and have had no problems since adopting this method.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Medico: I use Acronis True Image 2013 and started (several times) from a DVD I created. Unfortunately, it can not process the disk so I have given up hope on recovery via an image. I have read the announcement on TI 2014 and I am not too impressed. Seems to be mostly cloud related stuff and that is currently of little interest to me.

Thanks
    I would perhaps try to uninstall/reinstall Acronis. Then burn a new Acronis Boot Disk CD (yes, it fits on a CD, why waste a large DVD). My Acronis Boot Disk (I think they call it Create Bootable Media) works for both our PCs.

If it can't process your disk, are you certain another disk can be processed? I wonder if there is a problem with your DVD reader. Not sure what else could be causing the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy