Star Lounger
    Thanks

Incorrect Chapter Number in TOC

I posted a thread a while back with a problem I had with chapter and page numbering in a TOC. At the time I mentioned that I had two documents with the same problem.

Turns out that I was the problem for the document I posted. Once I followed Shauna Kelly's detailed instructions I got everything working okay.

So now I've come back to my second document and I've realised that it's not the same problem. I definitely set up the numbering correctly (as per Shauna Kelly's instructions). For this second document, I can indeed go to the Multi-Level list and modify the settings. (Which I couldn't do last time.)

My problem this time is that I have a large document that the user wants split into sections. They want the footer of each section to have "Section X, Page 1 of 1" and the TOC to show the chapter number x-1. (See the attached stripped down sample) Yip, I know what you're going to say and I've had many discussions with them about it, but it's what they want.

I had some challenges when I initially did this many months ago (they're still compiling information and sending it to me bit by bit) but I managed to resolve those and I'm not happy that the footers are AOK.

However, when I create the TOC, the page numbers for the first chapter (that is numbered 1 in the document body) are coming out with the wrong chapter number (i.e. 2-1 instead of 1-1). All other page numbers in the TOC are correct.

I copied the document and stripped it down so I could do some experimenting. Initially I thought the problem may have occurred from my using the styles Heading 3, Heading 4 and Heading 5 (as per the user's template), so I changed these to Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 (and obviously updated the multi-level list set-up). Same problem. I checked there were no Heading styles before the first one to be inserted into the TOC and confirmed all headings/titles before this point had been set up based on Block Text. I couldn't fix it (obviously, or I wouldn't be typing this!)

Because I'd changed the styles (from Heading 3 - 5, to Heading 1 - 3), initially the TOC was printing the page numbers with the Heading 3 numbers (1.1.1-2). I changed the "Chapter Starts with Style" from Heading 3 to Heading 1 in the "Page Number Format" pop-up. Then I realised that the correct chapter had been inserted originally so I changed the "Chapter Starts with Style" to Heading 2 and it's fine (except of course the number in the TOC is 1.1-1 when it should be just 1-1). Change it back to Heading 1 and the page number in the TOC is 2-1).

Any help would be much appreciated. I have attached the stripped down document, and the screen shot of the "Page Number Format" pop-up so you can see how it's set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why you Kiwis want to make life so difficult but the way Word works is not going to be flexible enough to mix and match the page numbering the way you have requested.

Word builds the TOC showing the page numbering in THE SAME FORMAT as the page numbers in the footer.
    This means that you can have a page number that says Section x, Page x-y of z and then the TOC will show the page numbers as x-y
    Or you can have the page numbers show as Section x, Page y of z and then the TOC will show the page numbers as y
    You can't have a mixture of both

UNLESS
    A tactic to force this behaviour would be to build the TOC while the page numbers are showing as Page x-y then LOCK the TOC field and reset the page numbers in the footers to the way you want them. This would probably need a macro to avoid the pain of redoing this everytime you DO want the TOC updated.

Personally, I would simply point out the inherent inconsistency of wanting to do the numbers the way you were requested and include a monologue on the oddities resulting from including the {Sectionpages} field.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Us Kiwis have complicated minds!

The thing is that it does work. It's just that the wrong chapter number is displayed when I specify that the 'Chapter starts with style' Heading 1. (See 'screenshot wrong chapter number'), but the correct chapter is displayed when I specify 'Chapter starts with style' Heading 2. (See 'screenshot right chapter number') Obviously, the problem with the second option is that I get an extra level of numbering that I don't want. The rest of the TOC is 100% correct, it's just the first chapter.

But, if no one can help me fix this (and I reckon it must be a bug if it works with one option and not the other), I have a plan...... (See 'backup plan'). I personally prefer the back up plan (if I can pull it off).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, there you go. I stand corrected and I've learnt something today.

It is possible to get the page numbers in the footer to show without the chapter numbering whilst including chapter numbering in the TOC. As you have demonstrated by adding the {Page \* Arabic} field and switch in the instance shown in the page footer you can override how Word displays that instance. The TOC then shows the page numbering as the Page Number format for that section decrees.

Back to your issue of the numbering - you have two problems which need to be resolved
    1. Your outline numbering is not part of the heading styles. If you select the heading 1 and heading 2 and press Ctrl-Space to reset the paragraph to the style definition the numbering disappears. You should make sure the numbering is part of the paragraph style
    2. There is a phantom heading above the First Heading One paragraph. To find it - Click on the little round icon in the bottom of the vertical scrollbar (bottom right of window) and then click on the Browse by Heading button (looks like a numbered list button). This allows you to move up and down in the document by clicking on the blue up/down arrows on either side of that round icon. Browsing by heading going up will reveal an empty paragraph/page break which is styled with Heading 2 sitting on the 'Document Control Information' page.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At about 3am this morning I woke up and realised that I'd set up the page numbering manually (I did it about this time last year). I also remembered that I couldn't use my back up plan to number the TOC without chapter numbers as I have lists of tables and figures at the back of the manual that need to include the chapter number (or they're meaningless). I meant to update my post first thing but forgot in the rush to get kids to school in the rain, and the power going off!

I can't work out what you mean by 'the outline numbering is not part of the heading styles'. I've never used Ctrl-Space before and I can't get it to work now. If you're saying that I haven't set up numbering for the Heading 1 style, that's deliberate. I used Shauna Kelly's instructions to number headings (http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...g20072010.html) and the numbering is set up using List Style.

I deleted the phantom Heading 1 and it's made no difference to my TOC numbering problem. I still don't get why the chapter numbers are correct in one scenario, and not in the other. Bah humbug.

Any more suggestions would be welcomed with open arms.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If I compare your dialog with Shauna's Figure 5 then there are some discrepancies.

Your Level 1 starts at 2. Levels after 3 are not linked to headings.

Once I cleared up the oddities in your file, it appears to work as (I think) you require.
    Document with incorrect page numbers in TOC.docx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Niki B (2013-09-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Firstly, thanks for the response and the updated document. Before you start thinking I'm an absolute idiot, I've only been a partial idiot...... My original document uses a template and it was set up with numbering only on Heading styles 3, 4 and 5. When I stripped the document to post it on this page I changed these to Heading styles 1, 2 and 3. I updated the "Link level to style" fields but in hindsight, I should have gone back and set everything up again. I also hadn't set up the levels 6 - 9.

Anyway...... once I'd worked that out (and slapped myself over the head), I carefully went through all of Shauna Kelly's instructions on my version of the stripped down file. Strangely it didn't work so I played around a bit and suddenly it worked but I have no idea what I did. (I hate that! In my defence our IT guy was using my desk and I was perched on the end of a table answering his questions every few minutes so it's possible I didn't quite do what I thought I was doing.) I then went to my original document and, using a copy, carefully changed the Heading styles 3, 4 and 5 to Heading styles 1, 2, and 3, and followed the instructions. It worked!

I have now learnt my lesson (okay, okay, it takes time with some people) and will follow instructions carefully and completely, and not think the lower heading levels don't matter. I will also be developing a new Word template that we will use when we are numbering headings as we've had to do this quite a bit just lately.

When I get a chance, I want to have a bit more of a play to see if I can find out why the initial changes I made to the stripped down document didn't work (although there's a huge liklihood that it's human error), but for now I'm just hugely grateful that my document has the correct page numbering in the TOCs. On the plus side, I found out some more about multilevel lists, and have gained a lot more confidence in generating TOCs for sections of a document. (This document has a few of them!)

Thanks again for you help and patience!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No problems on the delay getting back to me.

You will just have to learn to focus better while the IT guy is in close proximity. I know they are all very good looking but you can only use that as an excuse if you are single

The trick with the outline levels is that when you want to edit an existing outline level list you can ONLY open the dialog when your cursor is sitting in a paragraph that uses the Level 1 list level. If you chose any other paragraph then you have started a new outline level list.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you only knew what our IT guy looks like!

I did work out the trick with the outline levels (took a while) - it's a bit of a trick for young players. I also found out that you sometimes have to scroll down the Multilevel List window to see all the options. I still very much work on the principle that the more you know about Word, the more you realise that you don't know much! You'll be pleased to know (or maybe not), that today I've mastered adding a Heading 7 for my appendices (without screwing anything else up!).