Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eudora 7.1: Close replacement for Outlook Express?

I'm buying a Windows 7 64-bit machine and need to find a mail client to replace Outlook Express. All I want is a PC e-mail client; I have no interest in cloud usage. My OE setup is fairly complex, with six identities, one with 4 POP accounts and 1 IMAP account, two others somewhat less complex, and three that are just archives with no e-mail accounts. Naturally, I'm hoping to migrate the whole thing without too much difficulty.

I'm talking about Eudora 7.1, which some people are still running on Win7 and not the later Eudora OSE (8) that is based on Thunderbird. I've already tried and not liked Thunderbird. Is it possible to find what I'm looking for in Eudora?

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Last edited by decibelle; 2013-09-04 at 13:00.

Thanks
    If you don't like T'bird you might not find much more in Eudora to like as it is based on Thunderbird.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use 2009 WLM because it behaves quite like a modern OE, I have 7 accounts of all flavors aggregated there but I never got into identities.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I use 2009 WLM because it behaves quite like a modern OE, I have 7 accounts of all flavors aggregated there but I never got into identities.
    Does WLM 2009 have the option of creating different identities? And, must I install all the other "essentials" in the package along with the mail program? Also, does it run on XP? Whatever I settle on, I'd like to set it up and have it configured before I get the new computer.
    Last edited by decibelle; 2013-09-04 at 13:15.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just checked and it said identities are no longer used because user accounts provide better security and e-mail privacy. There is a identities import wizard that helps transfer account information and messages but no is the answer to using identities.

2009 WLM is fully compatible with XP, to get it to run on Windows 7 you need the standalone installer package (or it will automatically install 2012 with the ribbon) and you get a choice at the time of install as to what you want installed and what you don't.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One reason I keep different identities is to keep the application light for loading and functioning. Archives go in different identities. It doesn't like keeping huge amounts of messages. Has that changed? Do you archive old messages?

Also -- What about the whole syncing with the cloud thing -- can you disable that?

And -- Are you using WLM with an IMAP account that has 2-step verification?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I only put a few online purchase receipts in the storage folders so I don't know about a larger amount. You can disable Windows Live ID sign in but if using any Microsoft email account you have to sign in anyway, it's easy to ignore the calendar and any other sync feature (other than email of course) if it's not set up. One can also disable the uploading of large pictures in the background.

I am not using any 2-step verification process; it's a gmail account and it's been sluggish lately so I'll probably try converting it to a POP account soon because I don't really need the IMAP features. The other accounts all respond quickly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

decibelle (2013-09-05)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decibelle View Post
    I'm buying a Windows 7 64-bit machine and need to find a mail client to replace Outlook Express. All I want is a PC e-mail client; I have no interest in cloud usage. My OE setup is fairly complex, with six identities, one with 4 POP accounts and 1 IMAP account, two others somewhat less complex, and three that are just archives with no e-mail accounts. Naturally, I'm hoping to migrate the whole thing without too much difficulty.

I'm talking about Eudora 7.1, which some people are still running on Win7 and not the later Eudora OSE (8) that is based on Thunderbird. I've already tried and not liked Thunderbird. Is it possible to find what I'm looking for in Eudora?

Thanks,
    Ellen
    I have exactly the same setup as yourself, and I have been using Eudora 7.1 for years, including on my current Win 7 64-bit setup, without any difficulty at all.
    Eudora 7.1 is NOT based on Thunderbird, as far as I am aware - that is Eudora OSE, as you say, which I think is, in any case, no longer available - perhaps I'm wrong in that.
    I have several POP accounts, all of which can be dealt with by Eudora 7.1, and I have several identities also - all managed without difficulty by Eudora. I do not use an IMAP account, but I am sure that Eudora deals with that just as well.
    So, if you are migrating your Eudora to Win 7, it should work perfectly well. The only problem I encountered at first was that Win 7 stores your data (mailboxes, etc) in a different place to where you might expect, even if you tell Eudora on installation to store it in the Program directory (as I always had it in Win XP) - it stores the data in Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora. You will not be able to see that in Windows Explorer unless you have "Show hidden files, folders and drives" set in Tools>Folder Options>View. But once you know where to look, you can (as I do) copy all your data, say, from one computer to another (I do this to my laptop before going away for any length of time, and copy everything back to my desktop computer when I return).
    When you have your Win 7 setup installed, just install Eudora 7.1, then copy all your data (if you have already got Eudora 7.1) from your old computer to the folder mentioned above (AppData, etc.), and you are ready to go.
    If you have not used Eudora before, you will need to import your mailboxes from Outlook Express in the first instance - I don't know how to do that, as I never used Outlook Express, but I'm sure there must be some way to do it.
    Best of luck!
    Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing to be aware of: Eudora 7.1 does NOT do replies in HTML. We've been using it for company email for years and this is the single most frustrating thing about it. For instance, to reply to a customer with a copy of an invoice, we have to screenshot it and embed or attach it, otherwise it sends as mostly ugly unformatted text, and any actual text, comments, etc show up one... agonizing... letter... at a time after embedding an image. It's frustrating sitting there and watching what you just typed take 20 seconds to get to the end of the sentence. Other than HTML issues (and the many hidden undocumented hot-keys you hit without knowing it) the functionality is pretty good. Multiple accounts, "personalities", filtering, and so on are there. I'm pushing for adopting OSE, which seems to do things in a more modern fashion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo234 View Post
    I have exactly the same setup as yourself, and I have been using Eudora 7.1 for years, including on my current Win 7 64-bit setup, without any difficulty at all.
    Eudora 7.1 is NOT based on Thunderbird, as far as I am aware - that is Eudora OSE, as you say, which I think is, in any case, no longer available - perhaps I'm wrong in that.
    I have several POP accounts, all of which can be dealt with by Eudora 7.1, and I have several identities also - all managed without difficulty by Eudora. I do not use an IMAP account, but I am sure that Eudora deals with that just as well.
    So, if you are migrating your Eudora to Win 7, it should work perfectly well. The only problem I encountered at first was that Win 7 stores your data (mailboxes, etc) in a different place to where you might expect, even if you tell Eudora on installation to store it in the Program directory (as I always had it in Win XP) - it stores the data in Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora. You will not be able to see that in Windows Explorer unless you have "Show hidden files, folders and drives" set in Tools>Folder Options>View. But once you know where to look, you can (as I do) copy all your data, say, from one computer to another (I do this to my laptop before going away for any length of time, and copy everything back to my desktop computer when I return).
    When you have your Win 7 setup installed, just install Eudora 7.1, then copy all your data (if you have already got Eudora 7.1) from your old computer to the folder mentioned above (AppData, etc.), and you are ready to go.
    If you have not used Eudora before, you will need to import your mailboxes from Outlook Express in the first instance - I don't know how to do that, as I never used Outlook Express, but I'm sure there must be some way to do it.
    Best of luck!
    Paul
    I have used Eudora since the late 90s and always have put the data folders in the program folder. When I updated to Windows 7 Pro x64 I copied the entire Qualcomm folder from Windows XP to Program Files (x86) including the data folders and the mailboxes. Then run the Eudora installer. It will pick up all of your settings and preferences just like previous Windows versions. On my Win 7 system no Qualcomm folder was created in the Roaming folder.
    Delta-V

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-V View Post
    I have used Eudora since the late 90s and always have put the data folders in the program folder. When I updated to Windows 7 Pro x64 I copied the entire Qualcomm folder from Windows XP to Program Files (x86) including the data folders and the mailboxes. Then run the Eudora installer. It will pick up all of your settings and preferences just like previous Windows versions. On my Win 7 system no Qualcomm folder was created in the Roaming folder.
    Isn't that strange? When I tried to install Eudora on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit setup, I asked it to install the mailboxes etc to the Program Files (X86) Qualcomm folder, then copied everything over from my Win XP machine to it, but it still insisted on using the folder in AppData. But then, I did it the other way round to you - I installed the program first, then copied the data across; perhaps if I had done it the same way round as yourself, I would not have had that problem.
    Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrabin View Post
    One thing to be aware of: Eudora 7.1 does NOT do replies in HTML. We've been using it for company email for years and this is the single most frustrating thing about it. For instance, to reply to a customer with a copy of an invoice, we have to screenshot it and embed or attach it, otherwise it sends as mostly ugly unformatted text, and any actual text, comments, etc show up one... agonizing... letter... at a time after embedding an image. It's frustrating sitting there and watching what you just typed take 20 seconds to get to the end of the sentence. Other than HTML issues (and the many hidden undocumented hot-keys you hit without knowing it) the functionality is pretty good. Multiple accounts, "personalities", filtering, and so on are there. I'm pushing for adopting OSE, which seems to do things in a more modern fashion.
    I'm not sure what the problem here is. We run an online shop which produces invoices in HTML, which can then be sent in an email, even using Eudora 7.1, by means of a link in the email; or the invoice can be copied from our ecommerce software into a message in Eudora, and it is sent in an acceptable way, if not exactly as it looks on the web page.
    Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Eudora for many years before switching over to Outlook (full version). It is a superb client and will do everything you specified. The only downside is that it is open-source and there's no formal support. But there is plenty of "user community" information and help, and the software itself is very robust and reliable. As long as you don't need too much handholding, you'll be very happy with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo234 View Post
    Isn't that strange? When I tried to install Eudora on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit setup, I asked it to install the mailboxes etc to the Program Files (X86) Qualcomm folder, then copied everything over from my Win XP machine to it, but it still insisted on using the folder in AppData. But then, I did it the other way round to you - I installed the program first, then copied the data across; perhaps if I had done it the same way round as yourself, I would not have had that problem.
    Paul
    I first tried the copy then install after updating a pc from Win 95 to Win 98. Sometime in the late 90s I took over most IT services for my college research department (about 200 PCs) and always did it that way. Never a problem. I've found Eudora very reliable and easily customizable.
    Delta-V

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Eudora 7.1 since it was first issued, and have found it better than any other email client I have tried (outlook, express, t'bird, Pamela, OSE). I run 21 personalities (I do a lot of international travel) and about 100 mailboxes/folders. Excellent indexing, search, storage, relaying, easiest install to new machine of any program (copy whole folder and install over the top - magic). Eudora has worked well in every Windows version, now on 8 where it works fine. Only negatives from my point of view are its limited ability to handle fonts and lack of effective autocorrect. In every other way, it is near 100%, IMO. Most users give it five stars - unusual, see http://email.about.com/u/r/cs/wincli.../gr/eudora.htm. What a pity Qualcomm stopped development when they did - big mistake.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jonrichco For This Useful Post:

brockh (2014-05-08)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast