2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bullet indenting styles in Word 2007

Using the Styles feature inside a custom template (dotx) in Word 2007 -- I want to set the indenting for a bulleted list, and the font, point size, and bullet character. Making a new style, modifying a style works great in the document. But when I save and reopen the document, the bullet style changes itself. The indenting changes in a custom style (created from scratch and based on No Style, Automatically Update turned off). All of the formatting reverts to the default if I use the List Bullet style that comes with Word.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to make a bullet list style that's stable enough to Save and reopen a document! Can someone help me? I'll send an example if that would help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the Templates and Add-ins dialog where you choose to attach a template have you set the styles to "Automatically update document styles"?

This sounds like the issue although if the problem is appearing in a dotx file perhaps there is something else going on. If you are opening a new file based on a true dotx template (and not just renamed as dotx) then that template should be the attached template and we assume the style in the template itself is how you wanted it.

To see this dialog you need to go to your Developer tab > Document Template

If that doesn't solve your problem you will need to post a sample of your template.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, Andrew. In the Document Template dialog box, did you mean that "Automatically update..." should be turned ON or OFF? I've just turned it OFF and will test the style to see what happens.

There's another possibility that's in the Word 7 Help: After modifying a style, I need to check the option "New documents based on this template" to save the modifications to the template. I'll do this also and see what happens. I've been using "Only in this document" and that does not send the changes to the template.

After testing these two fix solutions, the document is behaving itself. Yippee, and thanks for your help.
    Last edited by BetsyFrick; 2013-09-05 at 12:59.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I meant for you to turn off the setting to automatically update styles on open. This has the effect of re-importing the style definition from the attached template every time you reopen the file.

The 'New documents based on this template' does something when you are editing a DOCUMENT because it writes your style settings back to the attached template. However if you are editing the template itself then this setting is pointless since all those changes can't go anywhere other than in the template itself.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    About "New documents based on this template" I confused myself because I was working in a document with the custom template attached. The choice, "Only in this document" seemed to me to mean that the styles I created or modified would go to the attached template. Not so. The new or modified styles didn't even stay in the document upon saving and re-opening. Your advice is exactly right. Now I have a bright pink sticky note at the edge of my computer to remind me which style choices do what!

Thanks for your help. The Lounge is just awesome!