New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry How to fix changes to my operating system

Hi,
    I'm so frustrated with Microsoft and others making computer adjustments without my agreement.
    I passed the "basic knowledge stage" about computers, therefore looking for help to get my PC (which runs Windows 7 Ultimate 32x) back to the way I like it to run.
    My questions are:
    1) how to stop Windows putting locks on files and folders. (I am the only user).
    2) how to stop the Pop-up in Firefox "install Google Chrome"
    A step by step solution would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Werger,
    Here are my replies based on my understanding of your questions:
    1. File locks aren't a "change" to your operating system, they are a feature. Even though you are the only user, you probably have more than 40 processes running simultaneously (interactive, services, kernel, etc.). File locks keep things relatively sane when several processes try to modify a file simultaneously. I don't know of any way to turn them off.
    2. If you are like me, those annoying "install Google Chrome" pop-ups come from the Google web site, not your PC. If you're getting them while banking, you may have gotten some kind of malware.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by werger View Post
    Hi,
    I'm so frustrated with Microsoft and others making computer adjustments without my agreement.
    I passed the "basic knowledge stage" about computers, therefore looking for help to get my PC (which runs Windows 7 Ultimate 32x) back to the way I like it to run.
    My questions are:
    1) how to stop Windows putting locks on files and folders. (I am the only user).
    2) how to stop the Pop-up in Firefox "install Google Chrome"
    A step by step solution would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Hi,
    I found my own solution somewhere else - as per link below. It may be of help to somebody!
    Cheers,

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17117...-in-windows-7/

Thanks
    Hi,
    I found my own solution somewhere else - as per link below. It may be of help to somebody!
    Cheers,

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17117...-in-windows-7/
    You've stumbled across the "long way around", here's a shorter easier way:
    Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Be very careful though because some of these files are locked for a reason. Changing system files, especially for the person who has "passed the "basic knowledge stage" about computers" can lead to disastrous consequences up to and including a non-bootable PC. Before making any such changes be sure you have created a fresh Image of your system to allow you to restore in the event untoward consequences do occur.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I created a folder called "Paperwork" on my C: drive. I then set the properties of the Documents folder to include that location as the default folder (the one with the check mark). I then use C:\Paperwork to store my documents, pictures, downloads, etc.

I do the above for each user. I find that to be the easiest way for everyone to share documents and everything else.

Since you are the only user, you won't get the sharing advantage. But you'll probably find that the items you work with are no longer locked, because they will be separated out from the Windows internal stuff.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    thank you all for your replies. I always appreciat any help!
    Unfortunately, as is with Microsoft, I do not like being told what I must have or use on my computer. I prefer to decide what to use or not, even if it is not the best way.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers