New Lounger
    Thanks

"Linking" two broadband connections

We are a small company in South Wales, UK and are very dependent on our slow (3 meg max) internet connection. To try and improve our chances of always having an internet connection we have two broadband lines from two different suppliers that we can manually swap over if necessary.

What I would like to do is effectively automate the swap over process and to that end I have bought a DrayTek Vigor 120 and a DrayTek Vigor 2830n.
    Our main broadband line is connected to the 2830n which in turn is connected to our server, 3 x networked printers and 5 x PC's (4 x wireless and one cable).
    I have tried connecting the second broadband line to the 120 and linking it's LAN port to a LAN port on the 2830n but it doesn't seem to work and slows down our internet access quite considerably.

I'm not trying to get any more internet speed as I realise that can't happen, I'm just trying to arrange it so that if one broadband line goes down the second will take over automatically.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    My first port of call would be Draytek technical support, since you have bought a couple of their high-end routers.

PS broadband lines shouldn't go down!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BATcher, I'm waiting for them to get back to me but it's taking a while.

We suffer from having aluminum cables to the main distribution cabinet (CAB) about 300m from our offices (a consequence of high copper prices in the 80's) and anytime an engineer goes in that CAB we can expect to have problems with our broadband and telephone lines! Can't wait for BT to get around to installing fiber to the CAB!!

Thanks
    Ah, aluminium. All bets are off with that instead of copper!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Bob,

You say you connected the 120 to a LAN port on the 2830N, should it not be connected to the WAN2 port?