Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why using a registry cleaner won’t speed up your PC or fix crashes

From the How To Geek:

http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-...ashes/#8217;ve said it again and again: Registry cleaners don’t speed up your PC. At best, they’re a waste of time — and often money. At worst, they can cause problems by removing registry entries they shouldn’t. We recently covered

Jerry

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-09-05),ruirib (2013-09-06)

Administrator
    Thanks

Get your head down - incoming

Joe

Thanks
    I'm expecting it.

Jerry

Thanks
    The only time I use CCleaner as a registry cleaner is after an uninstall. This just cleans out orphaned files. Does not do anything except make me feel as though I cleaned something up, even if only a little.

Using these registry cleaners can be very dangerous if a person has no idea what is going on or what is being cleaned.

No need to use your helmet on my account. I might have to put mine on though.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    From the How To Geek:

http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-...ashes/#8217;ve said it again and again: Registry cleaners don’t speed up your PC. At best, they’re a waste of time — and often money. At worst, they can cause problems by removing registry entries they shouldn’t. We recently covered

Jerry
    Well, this old tech can certainly argue with you on that one.
    If a registry is bloated with garbage it will take longer to load at boot up and longer to save at shutdown.

Now if you run a GOOD registry cleaner on it and then do a re-compression with a program like NTREGOPT, your registry will load faster, and run smoother.

Almost every Anti-Malware program does it's own Registry Cleaning.....removing entries put in there by malware. That leaves HOLES in the registry. A registry re-compression program will fix that.
    It's very similar to de-fragging a hard drive.

I once de-installed MS Office from my computer, then did a reg cleaning and re-compression and reduced the size of my registry by 30 megabytes.

It's a little thing, but every little bit helps, when you're trying to get the very maximum performance out of your PC. I clean and re-compress mine at least once a week, and before every Backup.
    But, twice over several years, I tried to use CCleaner to clean my registry and both times the PC would not boot up afterwards. I had to do a Ghost Restore to get my PC back.

Two programs I've used with 100% success, are "Easy Cleaner 2" and "Win-Utilities Pro".
    With Win-7 and Win-8, I use only Win-Utilities Pro.

But.....to each his or her own. Eh?

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Well, with todays fast computers I really don't think any increase in speed when booting would be even noticeable..

I leave mine alone and have never had any problems.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Is it safe to use NTRegOpt on Windows 8? (The most recent version of NTRegOpt was released in about 2005...BEFORE Widows 8 appeared). An academic question; since I don't believe in fiddling with the registry unless it is absolutely necessary.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    In my opinion, I wouldn't clean the registry at all because it has never been proven to be of any benefit.

I know others will disagree but most people never clean it and never notice any any problems.

Doc say he saved 30MB by cleaning it.
    So, what's 30MB with todays drives..Is it worth 30 MB to risk really screwing things up?
    I don't think so.

Is it worth a few milliseconds of faster boot time? I don't think so.

Thanks
    I thought it would be a good idea to see what Black Viper had to say about registry cleaners, so I could do the exact opposite to what he suggested, but his site seems semi-dormant and I couldn't find anything about them...
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Many of those who insist on running registry cleaners have been doing so since the days when registry cleaning and compaction may have made a difference. The way Windows boots and loads the registry has been re-architected significantly since Windows 95. Not everything is done up front anymore. The hardware has changed so much since Windows 95 that saving a small amount of disk space is inconsequential. Just compare the rotational speeds, rated transfer speeds, and cache sizes for disks now vs disks from the Windows 95 era not to mention the difference when SSDs are involved.

Joe

Thanks
    I agree Joe...

There are those that regularly clean their registry with nothing bad happening and there are those that try it once and end up with a door stop instead of a computer.

My main point has always been, why take the risk for such inconsequential results.

Thanks
    There is so much angst associated with the subject of registry cleaning, that it's been banned on many forums. And, there's so much BAD information associated with the subject that it can be very misleading to new users. I seldom post to such a topic, and I'm sort of sorry I did here.

Sorry about that.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I wouldn't exactly call it 'angst'..
    It's just a discussion about the many opinions, pro and con, about the merit/or lack of merit to cleaning the registry...

Some like doing it because they feel it helps the performance of their computer and others feel it's a useless and sometimes dangerous form of maintenance.

These opinions have been around ever since the first PC hit the stores.

Thanks
    I have never harmed my PC by looking for leftover stuff after I uninstall an app. It makes me "feel good" to do so, so I will continue to utilize these cleaners for this very specific case. I do not care whether it speeds things up or not. Everyone has to do what they think is the right thing to do for their specific case. This is what I do! YMMV
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted, when I use Revo to un-install an program I let Revo clean up the registry for that one program and that's it.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "it makes you feel good"
    I thin k that's why most people do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast