Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

USB Boot Media Inconsistency

Hey Y'all,

Here's a weird situation I sure can't figure it out.

I have 3 USB devices:
    1. SanDisk 8GB USB Key (USB 2.0)
    2. WD Passport Essential 1Tb (USB 3.0)
    3. WD MyBook 3Tb (USB 3.0)

The two WD drives each have 2 partitions one containing Macrium Reflect Windows PE Recovery Boot Media
    and the other partition contains the directory structure for storing my Images.

The SanDisk only contains the Macrium Reflect Windows PE Recovery Boot Media.

All 3 devices had the Recovery partition created on the same machine (Dell XPS 8700 Win 8 Pro) (specs in sig) (USB 3.0 & 2.0)

All devices will boot on the Dell XPS 8700.

On my laptop (DELL Insprion 1564 Win 7 HP Phoenix BIOS A13 03/29/2011 )(see specs in sig) (USB 2.0 Ports ONLY)
    BIOS Boot Options:
    Hard Drive
    USB Storage
    CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Removeable Devices
    Network
    The WD MyBook (Not on Boot Menu) will NOT boot while the other two (Show on Boot Menu) devices boot.

On my backup desktop (DELL Inspiron 530 Win 7 HP Phoenix BIOS A2 02/24/2009) (USB 2.0 Ports ONLY)
    BIOS Boot Options:
    Hard Disk
    Removeable
    CDROM
    Disabled
    Up to 4 devices can be selected.
    The WD MyBook & WD Passport (Do NOT show on Boot Menu) will NOT boot. While the SanDisk (Shows on the Boot Menu) does!

So WHY the differences? I'm guessing it has something to do with BIOS and/or the firmware in the devices.

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Just a guess but perhaps the BIOS does not support drives of that size.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Joe,

Gee, I didn't even think of that. It's interesting because the Boot Partition is only 4GB! However the over all disk is 3Tb. And why doesn't the 1Tb drive boot on the 530 DT when it boots on the 1564 LT I've tried another drive that is 1.5Tb USB 2.0 and it boots on both the Dell 530 Desktop and the Dell 1564 Laptop. Of course I created the boot media from the Dell 530 DT.

Looks like the next step is using that drive and recreating the boot partition software on the Dell 8700.

I've booted so many times today that there is an imprint of F12 on my right index finger!

Update: I recreated the Boot Partition on the 1.5Tb drive on the Dell XPS 8700. It will now boot on both the 1564 LT and 530 DT but completely locks up the XPX 8700 if it is plugged in at boot! This is scary. It seems the only fully reliable method on all machines is to boot from the SanDisk USB Key!

Update 2: Here's what Macrium has to say about this topic.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-09-06 at 21:07.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs