3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display abnormalities

My pavilion hpe desktop is two years old. For the past two months the display has showed occasional (perhaps once/hour) abnormalities. The area surrounding a word or two of text appears with multicolored pixels. Scrolling that section off the screen and then back on usually removes the abnormality. However, I am concerned that this is a sign of something failing, perhaps the graphics card. What would you suggest I do to isolate and repair the source of the problem?

The only test I've done is a RAM test, and that came up all clear.

Thank you.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    I am concerned that this is a sign of something failing, perhaps the graphics card. What would you suggest I do to isolate and repair the source of the problem?
    globalist,

Hello... Does your graphics card have an HDMI or VGA output? If so you could connect a TV as a second monitor to see if your graphics card is the problem. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Like a checkerboard effect in the area around the text? That sounds very much like one of the signs that your machine does not play well with IE10.

If this has only stared since updating IE to IE10, then try reverting to IE9 and removing the problematic pre- requisite KB that causes it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

globalist (2013-09-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This sure looks like the issue!

To revert to IE9, do I have to uninstall IE10 and then reinstall IE9 (presumably from an MS site, using another browser) after removing the KB mentioned in your page reference?

Thanks
    After removing IE10, it should automatically revert to using IE9. Once you've done it, block the auto-install of IE10: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36512

You may need to check Windows Update manually and hide the offending KB as well.

Note that MS can override those settings, should they wish to, and force an update of IE. You may want to set WU to warn but not download/install automatically to be (reasonably) safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

globalist (2013-10-02)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your approach solved my stated problem - THANKS.
    I was surprised that when Windows 7 reverted to IE9, it installed the 64-bit version rather than the 32-bit versions I had been using since I purchased this pc 2 or 3 years ago. [At that time the 64-bit version did not work, and even MS recommended that the 32-bit version be used.] While your recommended approach solved the artifacts problem (which I sure hope are fixed by the time of IE11), and IE9 normally works fine, a frame freezes a couple of times a day and forces IE to close that tab and regenerate it, sometimes losing info that was being worked on. Guess this is just the price of using IE.

Thanks
    You should have the 32-bit IE, look near the top of the Start > All Programs list; it should be possible to set it to default as well - it ought be more compatible/less buggy than the 64-bit version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - done. I'll see how this works.

At least the 64-bit version worked most of the time - a huge change from when I first tried it when the pc was new.