Thanks

Unwanted contacts in People app

I have a new Windows 8 computer, and I'm getting comfortable with it. When I enter my Microsoft Account, the People app gets populated with my Skype contacts (5-10 of them), plus about 50 contacts I've never heard of before. The contacts say they came from Messenger, which is something I never remember using, and which apparently is no more.

I know how to delete these contacts one by one, but there are a lot of them.

One of these unwanted contacts has a VERY unwanted homoerotic picture associated with it. Others have straightforward pictures of little children, but I suspect they might be gateways to some very naughty stuff. I am concerned that, wherever these came from, some others might follow them in. My computer is used to some extent with children, so I don't want this ever to happen.

I've talked with my computer manufacturer's executive complaints department, and they are no help at all. I've inquired in a Microsoft forum, and they are the same.

Who has some ideas about tracking down the source of this very unwanted stuff?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Good morning Lou. I have no idea how the "over" population could have occurred. I would go ahead and delete them one at a time (start with the worst offenders and work your way through them). I know I am getting suggestive emails after I listed some items for sale on Craig's List. I suspect some trolling was done and my MS email account was added to a list someplace. I would think yours was done the same way. This is one reason why we discourage new members from using their email accounts as their member IDs. Some do, on a fairly regular basis.

These people are insidious! I am unsure how to block them all because they just keep changing their names, etc. I suspect in your case it will take vigilance on your part to keep them at bay.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I hear you, and I've got some experience with insidious folks on PHPBB and WordPress sites. But as far as I know, I never had a Microsoft email account before setting one up for Windows 8. I'm going to keep looking until I find something about how they might have gotten into my account.

Current descriptions of the Microsoft account only mention it as a way of identifying oneself. Apparently there used to be a thing called Messenger, but current material just says that it is no longer available.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Messenger was discontinued some time ago, nothing more will come from there.

The people app is not the best one to manage your contact list. An email client, such as Outlook allows for easier management, since you can select multiple contacts and delete them with a single operation.
    Outlook.com, if you don't use Office Outlook, is a better way too. If you pick the People option, there will be a check box for each contact, so you can just delete them with a single operation.

I have been using a Microsoft account as the central point through which all my contacts are managed, for more than year now -actually since I bought my first Windows phone. No weird contacts ever appeared, so I wouldn't worry about it - most likely they came through Messenger or Skype. From now on, surely only contacts you willingly add will show.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lou,

If you're using the online Outlook, when you open your "People" section, you should see little boxes to the left of the names. Click the boxes next to the people you want to remove then select Delete from the top menu. be careful when selecting though, if you miss the little box, your selections will be gone. I generally delete 5-10 at a time.

Doug

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2013-09-09)

Thanks
    Well, I followed Rui and Doug's advice and deleted all the unwanted contacts. I was reassured quite a bit by Rui's extensive experience without getting any spurious contacts.

I've been using AOL for my emails for a LONG time, basically since I was a very early participant in their predecessor service Quantum Link -- I was on it before it even went live. But lately AOL's Welcome screen, news, etc. has been embarrasingly childish and I'm getting tired of looking at them. I guess it's time for me to go gMail or something else, and install Outlook on my computers. But I've heard too much about Outlook's complexity to look forward to using it. Maybe this Outlook.com stuff will be better.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    Well, I followed Rui and Doug's advice and deleted all the unwanted contacts. I was reassured quite a bit by Rui's extensive experience without getting any spurious contacts.

I've been using AOL for my emails for a LONG time, basically since I was a very early participant in their predecessor service Quantum Link -- I was on it before it even went live. But lately AOL's Welcome screen, news, etc. has been embarrasingly childish and I'm getting tired of looking at them. I guess it's time for me to go gMail or something else, and install Outlook on my computers. But I've heard too much about Outlook's complexity to look forward to using it. Maybe this Outlook.com stuff will be better.
    Lou,

If you are using Windows 8, probably making your Microsoft account your email account too, would be a good idea, unless it is not using an hotmail or outlook.com email address. I prefer Microsoft's services to Google's, but that's just a personal preference. Google has chosen not to support Windows 8 and Windows phone new customers, so if you use stuff like a calendar or similar, you are safer with Outlook.com.

I have used Outlook as a client for many years. It's not without issues. If a web client has worked for you, maybe just keeping a web interface (outlook.com) is a viable option.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I've got Windows 8 on a new 11.6" laptop with a touch screen. I kind of like the way it works, but I think it might be dreadful without the touch screen. My two main computers run Windows 7, and each has two large non-touch monitors (two 27" monitors and two 32" HDTV sets used as monitors). I think large touch screen monitors are too costly to be practical, so I'll probably not switch anything over to Windows 8 for a very long time.

I'm in the same boat with AOL that you are with Outlook, though maybe my boat is less seaworthy than yours. AOL suits me fine, but there are problems that I wish it didn't have.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    I've got Windows 8 on a new 11.6" laptop with a touch screen. I kind of like the way it works, but I think it might be dreadful without the touch screen.
    I do not believe this statement accurate in my case. I do have my Win 8 set up to boot directly to the desktop utilizing a Start Menu replacement app. I also have the Start Menu back. My Win 8 feels and looks just like my Win 7 did. I have older conventional non-touch laptops. Win 8 works very well.

Yes some say we should not have to add an app to get this functionality back, but then again we all add apps to add functionality to our PCs. This is just one more such app. Nuff' said as I do not want to open that discussion here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    That is good to know. It would be useful to hear a few words about the advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7, operated with your Start Menu replacement app. Or maybe to be steered to an existing discussion.

It looks as though Windows 8 has had a lot of thought put into it, and that it may offer a lot of advantages, but the whole idea of a new operating system is so overwhelming that it's hard to really know. I certainly can see that if one has a Start Menu, Windows 8 could be a lot more attractive.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Here are a few of the discussions. The further back you look the more numerous they seem to become.

Is Win 8 better than Win 7 behind the curtain

Choosing between Win 8 and Win 7

Why MS killed the Start Button

Win 8 versus Win 7 benchmarks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted