Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Protecting a document for forms (all)

Hi,

I've had a common problem in the past- when I have a document for forms, unprotect it, then reprotect it, the form fields get reset. This is a real pita for our users.

I decided to hijack the Word commands- but found that the built-in dialog boxes (choosing the protection type, choosing sections to protect, and entering a password) were not completely documented- or in one case, documented incorrectly.

So I built my own forms to do it. I'd certainly appreciate any feedback on this.

Because there's custom forms, I have to attach the document, rather than just include code.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Protecting a document for forms (all)

I had this problem too - the following is what I now use to fix it (courtesy of the lounge). Unfortunately it was a while back and I can't remember any details of how it works, except that if placed in normal.dot (or template in startup directory) it does the job!

<pre>Sub ProtectForm() 'If placed in normal, replaces Protect Form button
    If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType = wdNoProtection Then
    ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, noreset:=True
    Else
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:=""
    End If
    End Sub

Sub ToolsProtectUnprotectDocument1() 'if placed in normal, replaces
    'Tools
    Beryl M

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Geoff:

Beryl's got the answer. I think they came from the Microsoft KB Article:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q191/0/28.ASP>Q191028 - WD2000: How to Retain Information Typed into a Form Field When You Protect a Form</A>

Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Beryl,

Sorry for the delay in the response.

This doesn't quite do all I wanted it to do.

What I needed was to have a completely transparent way of protecting, which behaved exactly as the built-in way- allowing forms to be protected for tracked changes or comments as well as for forms; to allow sections to be protected, and passwords to be used.

The help for the built-in dialog box wdDialogToolsProtectDocument gives me the arguments for DocumentPassword, NoReset and Type. Regardless of whether I select forms, comments or changes, the type is still 503- so I have no way of finding the protection type selected- given the "help".

It was some while back when I worked on this- I also seem to remember that there was one of the values from the built-in dialog box which did not work as documented. This is why I chose to go for recreating the dialog boxes as user forms.

Thanks for the input.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil.

I checked out the KB article, hoping to find a little more. As I mentioned to Beryl, this didn't quite do the job of allowing other protection types.

I thought it a little sloppy of MS to use a number rather than a named constant in the protect:
    ActiveDocument.Protect Password:=pDoc.DocumentPassword, _
    NoReset:=True, Type:=2

Rather than

ActiveDocument.Protect Password:=pDoc.DocumentPassword, _
    NoReset:=True, Type:=wdProtectForForms

Even allowing for protection of forms only, the MS code omits the confirmation of password- perhaps because there's no dialog box for confirmation of password.

And when protecting for sections, the dialog box arguments for wdDialogToolsProtectSection (Protect, Section) do not allow me to determine which sections have been checked.

I suspect these arguments are available somewhere, that the fault is just in the limited documentation rather than in the inability of the dialog boxes to do their job. If there is a way to access those properties, I'd love to know. But it looks as if the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/Office/techinfo/productdoc/2002/en/word/vbawd10/wohowDialogArguments.htm>XP built-in dialog info</A> gives me no further info.

Thanks for the help, and for pointing me at the KB article.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've had some correspondence with Dave Rado from the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/>mvps site</A> on this. The result is FAR more elegant than my solution posted here.

Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/TurnFmFlfResetOff.htm>How to change the behaviour of Word's document protection, so users

Thanks

I liked this enough to install it in my personal global template. Thanks!
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Charles,

Ibby did well.

Another gotcha still not fixed.

If you have a doc with data, and print it, with the "update fields" options (tools, option, print options) set, the contents of the fields get set. It does happen- it has happened to our users a few times (though they tend to unprotect to spell check- so maybe it won't be a problem now).

Keep an eye on the MVPS site.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only way I found to deal with "Update Fields" resetting all the form fields was to create a Macro that replaces all form fields with their current contents. This worked well for a form that I sent out to other people that didn't need protecting after they had returned it.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The technique I've used is to intercept the print commands, and if the document has form fields and is not protected, protect before printing, then unprotect.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If we are going to be intercepting commands then it might be better to intercept the call to ActiveDocument.Fields.Update and replace it with a Macro that updates all fields that aren't form fields.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

activedocument.fields.unlink in the document_new sub of the template being used works well *as long as* you only need to fill in the fields once - no good if the fields are needed later of course ...
    Beryl M