Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows backdoor updates

My wife has an HP laptop running 64 bit Windows 8. If I can find the drivers I will put 7 on it, but for now it has a behavior that is driving me nuts.

If the system is left alone it downloads an update that changes the browser homepage to MSN.com and changes the default search to Bing. It also claims the user profile is temporary. I do a system restore and it goes back to working correctly. I don't want MS to be able to force an update through the back door. I have automatic updates turned off and manually update the system about once a month. I never let my personal machines. Windows update is a revenue stream for me on systems of my clients. There are always a few machines that crash from failed update. I don't like them being mine so I give them time to crash customer systems first.

I get very mad at the backdoor updating MS started with WIN7. Does anyone know how to stop it? I have had to roll back my wife's system 3 times this week and that gets old fast.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am running Windows 8 x64 in 3 laptops and I have not seen that behavior in any of them. I suggest you check the update list, after a restore and check which updates are available, to see if you can determine the culprit and hide it once and for all.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

saprinter (2013-09-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wasn't what I was looking for, but I think HP has a program that is doing the dirty work for MS. I started looking at the system restore info in CCleaner and found an HPSF that appears to be the issue. I went into her system and deleted a bunch of programs and toolbars using the CCleaner interface. (I prefer it to the Windows interface) I'm hoping that is the issue in 8, though I still see the odd update getting by on my 7 laptop and I still can't find a culprit for that after years of trying. I've only had 1 take me down, but that is 1 more than I want. I really prefer to vet my updates prior to installation. But you have made it possible for me to make my wife happy.

Nothing worse than my wife sitting down to work on lesson plans and hearing her rage at her computer. I hate to hear the cry of why am I getting MSN or why are my searches on Bing. She hates change. Her win 7 laptop croaking was a sad day for me.

Thanks
    I've never experienced this particular problem; but then I've never bought hp, either. I suspect it is some crapware from hp using Windows API's that's doing you in.

I've had Windows 7 on a number of DIY machines, and currently dual boot Windows 7/8 on a Dell Inspiron desktop and Latitude laptop. I dual boot XP/7 on an old Latitude D800. I have Windows Update set to notify only. And that's all it does. I hide those that I don't want and don't want to see. I've had no backdoor updates.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know the particulars of W8 WU but in Windows 7 if WU is set to notify and nothing else, there is a Microsoft Updates (as part of the larger Windows Updates) section that gets added for certain Microsoft products, the one I know about being Windows Security Essentials. That setting if allowed to remain checked will set Windows updates to Automatic. So it's not exactly a backdoor; more of a sidedoor. I know because I've been having all sorts of issues recently trying to use Windows security but ban I.E.10 and the associated platform update (get them off the list inbetween the first round of updates and the second after a clean install).

If you go to WU and it has not been changed to Automatic, yet you still get the updates then that is something I am unfamiliar with; might be another Windows Store or Microsoft Account sidedoor or something.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Let's hope you got the culprit .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I wonder if this is coming from the auto update feature of IE 10. Gear icon, About IE, uncheck the auto update and see if this might help. I was having this problem briefly. This might have been what solved it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    HP does have its own "system maintenance" applications. There is a dashboard from which you can configure how updates are handled.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I wonder if this is coming from the auto update feature of IE 10. Gear icon, About IE, uncheck the auto update and see if this might help. I was having this problem briefly. This might have been what solved it.
    I have autoupdate set in IE10 (both win 7 and win 8) and don't have that problem. If you can't find the source of the problem, you might want to install Win Patrol which will report any program that trys to change your home page or default search engine.
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

Jerry

Thanks
    In addition to the above suggestions, here are a couple of things to try:

* Disable browser helper objects in IE -- In IE, go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced. Under the Browsing section, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions."

* Run CCleaner, and disable as many startup items as you possibly can. For instance, it is not likely that you need any HP startup items. Then restart the computer. You can always come back and reenable any items that you do need to run at startup.

After doing the above two steps, I think you'll find that the problem has disappeared, and that the computer is faster.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-09-09 at 15:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen the "user profile is temporary" and other symptoms similar to yours on 2 Dell PCs running Windows 8 where validation had not been successful due to a bad built-in product key that Microsoft had blocked (required a motherboard replacement to get going).

I would suggest just checking under System that Windows 8 is still validated.

Cheers,
    Brett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 - And those HP - and other manufacturers - system applications are what drives us crazy. A good example is their "Power Plans". What the heck is the matter with Windows 7 power settings??? And yes, their special updaters are also annoying. All this is a good reason to take a new computer and format/re-install Windows from scratch.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for your ideas.

I'll bet that not very many folks here know that the IBM Service Manual for the brand new Personal Computer contained complete documented source code for their new op sys, DOS 1.0. Back then, I actually got to be the owner AND operator of my new computer! I got to write my own Interrupt Service Routines! I could design my own hardware to interface my new computer to instruments which lacked any computer interface. I could design and build the hardware, write the ISR, and have a fully integrated and functional system before the end of a single work day! Boy, was computer life easy before Bill turned the Personal Computer into his Personal Black Box. Ever since the appearance of Windows 3.0, my computer ceased to be mine as Microsoft found the formula to make Bill Gates the richest man in the world! Thanks, Bill!

Unfortunately, I have an HP laptop, and Bill seems to have started pushing Updates on me even if I chose "Download updates, but install only with my permission." I reboot and see "Installing update 1 of 28. . . ." For better or worse, I cut power ASAP. Pleeeease let ME run MY computer! Changing to "Don't check for updates." seems to have stopped the push, and gives me the time to check Susan Bradley's valuable info. before Redmond hoses my PC yet again. I am about to do a clean Win7 install from MS disks, not from the HP "restore computer" partition which re-installs the full Crapware Suite. It never occurred to me that Hewlett and Packard might be the source of the corporate arrogance, instead of Gates an Allen. My sincere thanks to everyone who has posted on this Control Your Update thread for the heads up! If I am able to convince Bill and Paul that the Microsoft holographic sticker on the bottom of this PC means that my Win 7 install has been paid for already, I will be certain to post details of that success on this forum! If MS refuses to do the right thing, I'll post about any successes I have getting help from the Dark Side, if WS Newsletter allows that.

Thanks again to those who made me aware of H-P possibly being the source of the new Update pushing. The latest round of Black Box de-mystification begins now!

Thanks
    I reboot and see "Installing update 1 of 28. . . ." For better or worse, I cut power ASAP.
    Never do this. You could wind up with an unbootable PC as you will probably corrupt the update install. Updates were partially installed before the reboot and it is now finishing with files that were locked before the reboot. If you don't want the updates, let them finish and do a System Restore afterwards,

Jerry

Thanks
    Bob

First thing I do with an OEM PC is take the HDD out, put a blank new one in and install Windows from a full official MSFT iso. Once I have it activated and running with all drivers OK I wipe the original drive and stick it back into my drive stocks. In this way there is no hidden bloatware or trick OEM stuff lurking on the PC and it is mine - or more often the customers' I prepped the machine for. I usually put back in OEM drivers that control specific to machine hardware but only if I cannot find generic drivers. Never changed this method since Windows 95 days and still do it with Windows 8 - especially Windows 8

Jonah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast