New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 365 Query header row

I have a number of Access queries which came over from Access 2003, where they worked well.

However in 365 (Access 2013) the header row now contains a drop-down arrow. As I have a lot of narrow columns with the year as header, this doesn't work for me because it overwrites the crucial bits of information. It seems that the row height is fixed, so I can't wrap the text, and I don't know if I can get rid of the drop-down arrow.

I realise that I can produce forms or reports to display the data, but I would like to avoid the effort if there is another way.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, in Access 2013 (and in 2010 and 2007) those drop downs are there to allow you to do filtering on a query or table, and there's no way that I know of to make them go away - the drop-down menu lets you do things like remove a filter, sort, etc. Also, if you have a lot of columns with years as the header, that suggests that you may want to look at normalizing your database structure - not a thing to undertake lightly of course. Perhaps someone else will come up with an alternative that solves your issues, but my view is that you will need to increase your column widths to accommodate the arrow - or export the query results to Excel.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for confirming that there is no easy way out.

The data structure is fine - the queries are all crosstabs reporting on the distribution against year of various aspects of the events catalogued. The problem with increasing the column width is that I am already at full screen width (unless I spread across both monitors, which is clumsy the rest of the time), so would have to scroll, and since I can't freeze the LH column, the visible data would be meaningless.

Yes, I know there are a number of solutions which require me to spend time changing stuff. Don't you just hate it when an "improvement" wrecks something you had working just fine.

I guess designing a report which pulls all the different query results together might be the way to go.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Ah - the crosstab aspect does make sense. Have you considered exporting the crosstab to Excel - it lets you freeze the left-hand column or column so when you scroll things still make sense. Reports will have other issues once you exceed the space they can occupy. Is this something that multiple users pull up at random times, or is it something you typically run and publish to others?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is purely for my own use. I record certain events with a date and 6 descriptive fields. I can then examine at will the frequency of occurrence of any of the fields tabulated against year. Having looked, I move on. I guess that a landscape report in a narrow font, with headers rotated, could be workable. I understand what Excel can do for me, and it may indeed be the answer, it is just that having to cut and paste feels like a backward step.

Perhaps I need to grasp the nettle and automate the task.