New Lounger
    Thanks

windows7 vs windows 8

thinking of upgrading to a windows 8 touchscreen computer. Any suggestions on whether or not to change . I need to buy a new computer so figured why not get the new technology. I am hearing mixed reviews from friends. what do the experts say

Thanks
    taadaa, Welcome to the Lounge.

This question has been rehashed several times in these forums. Read down through the different threads to see many discussions on this question.

Install one of the Start Menu add-ons to make Win 8 look and feel like Win 7.

The Sticky Threads show many tips and customizations if you are so inclined. Win 8 initially looks quite different from Win 7. You can make simple changes to reverse this look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You did not say what OS you currently have or are comfortable with. My recommendation is wait for Windows 8.1 (October 18th) unless you really need to get a machine right now. In any event whether it is Windows 8 or Windows 8., I strongly recommend you become familiar with Windows 8 or 8.1 before deciding to install an add-on to make Windows 8/8.1 look like Windows 7. Be a realistic judge of how you use the PC as Windows 8 is very usable if you don't get hung up on have a Start Menu. Besides, Windows 8.1 will be much more customizable than Windows 8 and also introduces some changes to make Windows 7 desktop users more comfortable.

If you want to get a machine with touch then definitely get Windows 8/8.1.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Joe. I now have a window 7 Toshiba Satellite & yes I'm comfortable with it. I need to buy a new computer for my daughters schooling. We are sharing my Satellite. The left click on the touchpad went bad and in order to send it in to be fixed I need another laptop. I heard there is an update for windows 8 coming up soon. would that be the 8.1 u mentioned. If so I was told its a free update to fix some problems 8 has. I like to play with new technology and thought Id enjoy the 8 with touchscreen. I am not a computer geek and know little on exactly what is in store on windows 8 but love to go with it. The new computer would be mine & my daughter would get my Satellite with the core I7 and 6 mgs ram.. plenty fast for what she needs lol.. maybe I should just bet her a stripped down laptop and me just stick with mine. Probably the cheapest way to go

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 8 feels great on a touch enabled laptop, I am writing this on one. Probably you will use the windows features you are used to, which means spending more time on the desktop, so it will be like 7. With touch, it's easy to get used to the new 8 start screen, but you can always get the known start menu, through a 3rd party app, if you need to.

If you have the change to visit a store where they have models of the computer your are planning to buy and you can experiment a little, do that. In what concerns me, I wouldn't go back to 7, there is nothing I miss, to be honest.
    Rui
    -------
    R4