5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Transfer OneNote files from Windows 7 to Windows 8 machine

I have a desktop currently running Win 7 and Office 2010 and a laptop running Win 8 and Office 2010. I want to know which files I have to move from the Win 7 machine to the Win 8 machine to "update" my OneNote files on the laptop. Thanks.

Ron M

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,039 Posts
    The fail safe way is to go to File->Export, use OneNote package format and then copy that file to the other computer and click it.

For years now, I have migrated documents between computers simply by copying the documents folder and that includes the OneNote notebooks folder. That has worked without issues for me, as well, but I don't think it's guaranteed. I have a syncing app that just syncs the contents of my OneNote notebooks folders between computers and it works pretty well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a Microsoft account (Hotmail, office.com or live etc) you can store the files on your skydrive, and both laptop and desktop (and phone if applicable) will be able to access the files from there. Works great for me.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

Thanks
    I upgraded Win7 to Win 8 (an in-place upgrade) and found that all my Office 2013 software and documents were unaffected by the process. I am pretty confident the same would apply with Office 2010. However, I agree that working with Skydrive would be a reliable way to do it.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    I upgraded Win7 to Win 8 (an in-place upgrade) and found that all my Office 2013 software and documents were unaffected by the process. I am pretty confident the same would apply with Office 2010. However, I agree that working with Skydrive would be a reliable way to do it.
    I would like to add here that as petesmst said the file assuming you are using SkyDrive should already be there. what I would like to add is this if the accounts are different. It is very easy to transfer the files from one SkyDrive Account to the other using the desktop SkyDrive app. You can also use a program called SDExplorer to basically do the same thing except you can transfer larger files back and forth.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the suggestions, they are appreciated. I do not use SkyDrive, maybe I should, but the thought of my files being "out there" where, conceivably, anyone can get at them, really bothers me. Given Microsoft's record in keeping things safe from viruses and the like, I do not have any faith in their ability to protect my files in the "cloud".

I have one question for Rui, pardon my ignorance, but where do I find the File->Export functionality on my Win 7 machine? I seem to be missing something as I do not know where this is. I have looked in the OneNote menus, etc., and I do not seem to be able to find it there. I assume that there is a matching File->Import functionality in Win 8 to bring the file into OneNote on that machine.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2013-11-20 at 10:38.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I fear that the feature may only be available like that in OneNote 2013.

For 2010, see if this video helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkiR6kk8ZRA
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    This is not to imply Microsoft are perfect or that there is no risk. It is conceivable that someone could hack a Microsoft data center and get your files it is much less likely than you think. Microsoft runs penetration tests daily much more frequently than the average home user. They are constantly trying to improve their defenses and detection mechanisms.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    I keep many of my OneNote files in SkyDrive. Works wonderfully. Been doing that for 2 years or so and never had an issue.

I would say Microsoft's cloud is top notch, and you should not confound what users allow on their PCs and what Microsoft does with their data centers. It's not even remotely close.
    Rui
    -------
    R4