New Lounger
    Thanks

recovering data from corrupted drive

A couple weeks ago my Win 7 Home Premium started taking fits. First thought it was malware, but after scans with four different anti-malware programs found nothing, decided Windows had just lost it's mind. Everything I tried to fix it just made it a little worse. Gave up and bought new computer.
    Now I want to put that corrupted drive in a docking station and recover data from it, but I got to wondering if there's any possibility of the crazy Windows trying to run and corrupting my new computer. I'm thinking it won't happen because that drive will not be the active one, but I want someone who knows for certain to re-assure me. I really don't want to bollix a brand new computer.

Thanks
    Depending on how much data you want to transfer.I would just simply get a flash drive.They are pretty cheap nowadays.Then,do a deep scan on it with all your data on it.BTW,if you have a USB 3 port that would be nice.My suggestion is only to play it on the safe side.
    On the other hand have you tried using the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows?IF,not here is a link to explain;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
    The best of luck on what ever you decide on.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No it won't try to run but as chowur says, there's still a possibility of copying something nasty from the drive and if the drive is going bad, you may experience system performance issues but that will be because of the bad drive being attached. Simply disconnect the docking station in that case.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    Another possibility is to download a Linux Distro (Ubuntu or Linux Mint are very good). Put it on a memory stick (or a cd/dvd) then boot the old PC from that. You should be able to copy your data to another memory stick or external drive, but malware shouldn't be an issue. Linux will also tell you what the state of the disk is (I rescued data from an unbootable disk this way - it was dead because the MBR had been corrupted by power glitches).

Banned Member
    Thanks
    TestDisk (Win/OS X/Linux, Free): If you're not afraid of the command line, TestDisk is an open source utility that can run against almost any platform or partition type.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-04-07 at 06:05.