Ken Kashmarek

Beware Sep2013 patch 2868116

This patch applied to my Win7 32-bit system, caused the same result as 2798162, which does not allow execution of any program on my computer, including the ability to rollback to a previous restore point. I had to individually uninstall this patch to regain control of my computer. This patch requires 2792100, which I can't install since it can only be obtained through Windows Update, and Windows Update never offers 2792100.

Search the forums for 2798162 for a more complete story.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Windows Update never offers 2792100.
    It isn't offered because it has been replaced.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Ken Kashmarek
    I saw nothing on that web page that indicated 2792100 was replaced. Or at least, nothing that indicated what it was replaced by.

Further, under the descriptions of 2798162 and 2868116, those indicate they WON'T be installed UNLESS 2792100 is installed. My Windows Update has NEVER offered up 2792100 and I DO NOT have it installed. Yet, Windows Update installed 2798162, it was bad and had to be backed out; WU also installed 2868116 and it was bad and had to be backed out.

In my research thus far, I have found only one other person that had problems with 2868116 and I believe the issue(s) may be with my specific Win7 32-bit installation (for whatever reason).

I am hoping someone else may have some insight into this issue. I did leave a message at Microsoft concerning my problem (maybe I will get a response).

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks
    My Windows 7 is 64 bit, and it did update KB2868116. I do have KB2792100 in my Update History, quite a few months ago. It's labeled as a Security Update for Internet Explorer 9. I'm now running IE10.

So far, so good. I'll keep an eye on it.

Have you run sfc /scannow?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Ken Kashmarek
    Well, maybe there is the trick. I never did use IE9 but jumped from IE8 to IE10.

So, any insight as to why a security fix for IE would disallow running any programs. I mean, how screwed up is that patch?

I will try my 64-bit systems to see how they do.

I have gone through all manner of things to diagnose the probem with 2798162 and determined that running WITHOUT that patch is the only thing that worked. I have adopted the same stance for 2868116.