Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update problem.

I have an update problem from the latest Patch Tuesday updates. After installing the updates I have
    a problem with 3 updates for Security updates for Office 2007 suites, KB2760411, KB2760583 and KB2760588.
    In the "View update history" it shows these have been installed a number of times, but it still shows that these have to be installed.
    In the "Uninstall an update" view, it shows that these three updates have only been installed once.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the three but makes no difference. Help please. Thanks.

Update problem.jpg

Update problem 1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you have installed them, I suggest that you just hide the updates now, to stop Windows from offering them again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui
    Have hidden them but was wondering how this problem came about and how to fix.
    Regards
    Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Dave,

In my experience, these seem to result from problems with the specific updates and Microsoft needs to fix the updates.

Your experience with them doesn't seem to be unique:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/KB276...d-381949.shtml

This was just the first hit on a search using the three KB numbers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui,

So I will just wait and see what transpires from Microsoft.

Thanks
    This is where regular, routine drive imaging proves so helpful. I've had a couple of Windows Updates for Windows 8 install partially, in that they failed to update the dll cache. When running sfc /scannow, the problem surfaces. By restoring drive images from prior to the updates, I can start over.

From that point I can install just one or two updates at a time, and run sfc /scannow. This procedure has the benefit of narrowing down the problem, or alleviating it completely. I just went through this recently with Windows 8.

I'll update Windows 7 later today (I dual boot 7/8) and watch for any problems with these particular updates.

For me, restoring an image prior to the updates gives me the assurance that there are no leftovers or problems with uninstalling a particular update; I just go back to before it existed on the machine, so there can't be any leftovers and I can get a fresh, clean run at it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, in addition to all the helpful advice from tech. experts here, this is what an "ordinary" user does regarding updates.
    This morning I was offered 2 categories of updates for my W7 Home Premium desktop (Windows, and Office 2007.)
    First, I take an image of my OS partition.
    Then, I installed only the Winows updates.
    If they run fine for a few days, I will repeat the cycle: take an image, and install the Office updates.
    I use Macrium Reflect (paid), and keep 3 copies of my OS images at all times.
    So, if something goes bad, I can always revert back to a good version of my image and restore it.
    This procedure has saved me multiple times over the years.
    YMMV.

Dick

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    FWIW, in addition to all the helpful advice from tech. experts here, this is what an "ordinary" user does regarding updates.
    This morning I was offered 2 categories of updates for my W7 Home Premium desktop (Windows, and Office 2007.)
    First, I take an image of my OS partition.
    Then, I installed only the Winows updates.
    If they run fine for a few days, I will repeat the cycle: take an image, and install the Office updates.
    I use Macrium Reflect (paid), and keep 3 copies of my OS images at all times.
    So, if something goes bad, I can always revert back to a good version of my image and restore it.
    This procedure has saved me multiple times over the years.
    YMMV.

Dick
    This definitely looks like a good, sensible strategy, Dick.

However, with updates, if you keep system restore points, it is enough to go back to the system restore point previous to the updates, to have your system just as it was when you started. It's a "lighter" way of recovering from Windows updates.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RUI. I don't take system restore points. I use images instead.
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    One does not exclude the other, Dick. I do both.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'm with Dick. I have System Restore turned off on all my drives/partitions. Yes it works (for many), most of the time, but how many posts have we seen where someone needs it desperately to work, and it fails miserably. For me, far too many.

Useful utilities for me are those that never fail. In that criteria, System Restore is not a useful utility, and so I've disabled it. In fact, I've never used it. I always rely on drive images, and drive images have never failed me; not once.

I see no reason to change. System Restore excludes itself (in my view) by its tendency to fail so many users so many times.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Indeed, when one is carrying around a "six shooter," there's nothing preventing the user from shooting themselves in the foot instead of the bullseye. I've never had system restore fail to date, except for the 2 occasions where SR itself failed to restore. For all my mature systems it is ever so much more efficacious to use SR over image restore when called for, especially for backing out of Windows Updates. I tested it on Service Pack 3 for XP one time recently, backed out the whole thing and came up roses; took a long time (20 minutes maybe?) but still far faster than any image would take on the workhorses I have. After 14 straight years of success with SR, I'd say it's one of the best features Windows has.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2013-10-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How off-putting F.U.N. I gave my approach as a non-technical home user (who in the old, mainframe days managed tech. support and tech. services for more than 1 Fortune 100 company before retiring.

I use imaging because I can take an image of my OS partition and one of my data partition while I have breakfast each morning. I also make sure that I have done so before doing anything with Windows Update.

It takes me 9 minutes to image my OS, and the same to restore it if I have to.

As Medico has frequently mentioned, when talking about personal computers, each person is free to do as they please as far as their own approach.

If you want to share what you do personally, well and good. I would appreciate it if you kept your "shooting themselves in the foot" remarks to yourself though.

Dick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Read it again carefully, that was in response to bbearren, acknowledging that system restore can indeed be a poor plan of action for anything not registry-related...however post.

As Rui says, one does not exclude the other just because imaging can exclude SR. See how long your breakfast gets when you're imaging half a dozen systems that process about 200-250 gigs of data a week. I can see your point plainly for something that only take nine minutes, you should see the same for folks with more complicated requirements.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast