2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010: Adding ribbon tabs to a file, are they saved in the file? (X posted to Word forum)

Hi all,

RE: Office 2010: Customizing the ribbon tabs for a file, does the file take them with it?

This question is for Word 2010 but I suppose it is the same for all Office 2010 apps.

(** Excuse me for cross-posting this to the Word forum.)

If I create a new Word DOTM/DOCM file and then use the Customize Ribbon feature to add new tabs and groups, do the new tabs and groups get saved with the DOTM/DOCM file?

I mean does the file take with it the new tabs and groups? I.e., if I open the Word DOTM/DOCM file in Word 2010 on another computer, or in Word 2007, should I see the new tabs and groups?

You see, somebody sent me a DOCM file prepared in Word 2010 and he added new tabs and groups,
    and I opened it with Word 2007, but I did not see the new tabs and groups.

Or does this work for only DOTM files?

Or is there some special trick to save the new tabs and groups with the file?

TIA

-avi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this another site - but it does not seem to me reasonable. Seems to me that you can save with the document files/templates:

Save and Share Customizations
    Once you have set up your custom tabs, you can export the customizations to a file by clicking Import/Export. Click Export All Customizations, and click Save to save the exported file. You might do this if you want to use your custom layout on another computer at work or at home.

You can also share your customizations with other people in your office so that you all share the same setup. You can use your exported customization on another computer by launching Word, choose File > Options > Customize Ribbon, and then choose Import/Export > Import Customization File. Now browse to find the file you that exported so you can import the details.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The special trick is to create the ribbon customisation using third party tools. Using Word 2010's tool in the options only customises that machine and so is effectively useless for people making customisations for other users.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    A real problem witth using the customization tools in Word is that if you copy the customization file to another computer, it overwrites any customizations already there; sort of like overwriting another user's normal.dotm. - not nice - very untidy

Instead, you need to add XML code (and VBA) to a .docm or .dotm file. Those modifications stay with the document. You can make them global so they will work in all documents on a computer.

For Word, see Customize the Ribbon - it Doesn't Take Rocket Science.

For all of Office, see RibbonX. Although written for Office 2007, it works in later versions with few modifications. It gives examples in Word, Excel and Access and has information on how to share the customizations.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Two threads merged
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

Why do you need also VBA code?

Thanks
    You don't need vba unless you are creating custom commands. If all you are doing is using built-in commands, you can just add them to your own tabs and groups. You can also hide controls that appear by default. I do have one .dotx file that simply hides many of the commands on the Ribbon group. It contains no vba.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok - that's simple enough.
    Thanks.

Btw, I guess you can't do SIMPLY using the Office 2013 GUI either,
    or you would have told me.

-a

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry - tired. Excuse me. I will write this again.
    -------------------------------------------

Thanks.

Btw, I guess you can't SIMPLY do this using the Office 2013 GUI either,

Correct?

-a

-a

Thanks
    A real problem witth using the customization tools in Word is that if you copy the customization file to another computer, it overwrites any customizations already there; sort of like overwriting another user's normal.dotm. - not nice - very untidy

If you don't mind that, then you can do it through the GUI.

Using the Custom UI Editor is not difficult. With it you can make customizations that can be transferred easily.

I recommend reading RibbonX: Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon,

Even though it was written for Word 2007. it will probably give you all the guidance you need.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great thanks.

-avraham

Thanks
    Nope. Word 2013 (like Word 2010) stores in a single file so copying that file overwrites any existing customizations.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amakeler View Post
    I found this another site - but it does not seem to me reasonable. Seems to me that you can save with the document files/templates:

Save and Share Customizations
    Once you have set up your custom tabs, you can export the customizations to a file by clicking Import/Export. Click Export All Customizations, and click Save to save the exported file. You might do this if you want to use your custom layout on another computer at work or at home.

You can also share your customizations with other people in your office so that you all share the same setup. You can use your exported customization on another computer by launching Word, choose File > Options > Customize Ribbon, and then choose Import/Export > Import Customization File. Now browse to find the file you that exported so you can import the details.
    This is correct, but as I said, it is not modular. If there are any existing customizations on the computer you are copying to, they are overwritten. It is not modular.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amakeler View Post
    Thanks.

Btw, I guess you can't do SIMPLY using the Office 2013 GUI either,

-a
    Nope. Office 2013 uses same procedure as Office 2010.
    Microsoft deliberately made the Ribbon versions of Office require more technical knowledge for customization of the UI. I believe this was at the request of corporate users (the IT departments / help desks).
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin