Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

System images from 2 PCs and OSes

We will be traveling shortly and I plan to do a system image of my Win 7 desktop pc just before we leave.

I will be taking along my Win 8 laptop(hopefully Win 8.1 by then). So can I place both a Win 7 & Win 8 images on the same external portable drive. I thought about saving the Win7 desktop image to CD/DVD's, but the number of disks......

I can label the images to fully ID them so that won't be an issue. I just didn't want to have to buy another drive if I didn't have to. Thanks.

Diane

Sorry for the double post...I wasn't sure if I could delete it
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2013-10-07 at 08:23.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    What app do you use to create images? If you use the Windows native apps, you may have to rename the folders, once created, but other than that, you should be fine.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows native app.....I thought I might have to do something about naming. Thanks.

Diane

Thanks
    As a side note, I might consider a 3rd party Imaging app as the Windows variation is somewhat limited on both creating and restoration.

Using Acronis True Image 2013 I have stored at any one time approx. 6 Images for each of 3 PCs. Each is stored in a separate folder named for the particular PC on my Ext. HD.

The advantages of Imaging over clones is the ability to store numerous Images with new names on the same media. Clones only allow one at a time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you elaborate re: "limited on both creating and restoring" . Have people been successful using Windows System Imaging? I haven't had issues with creating and fortunately haven't had to do a restore although I do have a "C" drive rattling and rolling. And, don't have the luxury of time to deal with it at the moment. Hope it just hangs on until we return.

I had a copy of Acronis True Image ver. 10 and I have to admit, I must be the only person on the planet that hated it. I could take a chance with Macrium free version. Is that software less limiting than the Windows native app. Thanks for your input, BTW.

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Can you elaborate re: "limited on both creating and restoring" . Have people been successful using Windows System Imaging? I haven't had issues with creating and fortunately haven't had to do a restore although I do have a "C" drive rattling and rolling. And, don't have the luxury of time to deal with it at the moment. Hope it just hangs on until we return.

I had a copy of Acronis True Image ver. 10 and I have to admit, I must be the only person on the planet that hated it. I could take a chance with Macrium free version. Is that software less limiting than the Windows native app. Thanks for your input, BTW.

Diane
    One simple way to see if your backups are working, is to mount the .vhd file that results from each backup. Probably, I would recommend that you try such procedure for each of your backups. If everything works, I cannot see why you shouldn't keep using what has worked for you.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    On the less limiting aspect of 3rd party software, yes, some of us are accomplishing things with Macrium and EaseUS and maybe Paragon and probably Acronis that seem light years ahead of the W7 native application.

p.s. Oops, I always forget bbearren's TeraByte Image for Windows as well.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-10-07 at 13:56.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    People have reported problems with making more than one Image with the native app, and having problems with the naming nomenclature. Also the Win 7 app will cause problems when trying to restore just one file from the Image. There have been other limitations with the feature set on the native app that are not present with the more full featured 3rd party apps. Obviously it's up to you what you use. My experience with the Win 7 native app was less than stellar.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    People have reported problems with making more than one Image with the native app, and having problems with the naming nomenclature. Also the Win 7 app will cause problems when trying to restore just one file from the Image. There have been other limitations with the feature set on the native app that are not present with the more full featured 3rd party apps. Obviously it's up to you what you use. My experience with the Win 7 native app was less than stellar.
    All that can be overcome with folder renaming and .vhd file mounting. Mounting the .vhd file will allow copying to and from the image without any issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Diane,

FWIW, I regularly Image 4 different machines to a variety of external USB Hard Drives using Macrium Reflect Pro (although the Free version will work just as well). What I do is create a directory on the External HDD for each machine. You can then direct MR to store the images for that machine to it's specified directory making it very easy to later find the appropriate machine's images when it comes time to restore one. I also keep at least 3 generations of images for each machine spread across several drives thus protecting against image drive failure. I always have one drive at a friends house (not close to mine) in case of natural disaster. It's that old ounce of prevention thing my parent's kept drilling into my head... HTH

P.S. DON'T FORGET to make & test the Restore Boot Media! I prefer the Windows PE version in MR.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2013-10-08)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

Thanks for the above info. Creating a directory makes sense..easy to ID Win7Desktop & Win8Laptop. I am more concerned about my desktop than the laptop which is machine I take with us on our travels and experiment with.

I have a question about Win8 and my laptop though. I haven't turned on File History yet because quite frankly I didn't know what it was...now I do. The other reason is because I didn't know what/where I was going to save my image/backups. Now that I know I can use my external drive, I will do the image and I presume that I should turn on FHistory but that's going to ask me for a backup device, right? I really didn't want to do a backup before I did the image.

Can I just do the system image w/o File History? My purpose in doing the image on the laptop is to save my laptop from any glitches with the Win 8.1 update. I don't have much stuff on the laptop yet, but planned to use it more after Win 8.1. BTW, what is Macrium's learning curve?

Thanks again for the above post and the advice about testing the recovery disk. Much appreciated.

Diane

Thanks
    File History will actually look for a location to back up your data. If your ext. HD is plugged in it will see that as a viable option. Be advised the first time will take quite some time, but subsequent runs will be quicker.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Can I just do the system image w/o File History? My purpose in doing the image on the laptop is to save my laptop from any glitches with the Win 8.1 update. I don't have much stuff on the laptop yet, but planned to use it more after Win 8.1. BTW, what is Macrium's learning curve?
    You can just image and don't use File History. I don't.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you...

I will image the laptop w/o FHistory.

I did download Macrium Reflect and got it running on my desktop. It's finishing up now.

Some of the technical terms used in the program meant nothing to me, but I managed the Windows PE recovery disk and got the image onto my external drive. I'll test the disk and the files and then tackle the laptop image.

Thanks to all who replied.

Diane
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2013-10-08 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Generally, data should be backed up more often than Imaging is done. For example I create Images at least monthly whereas my data is backed up daily. File History can be set to backup your data as often as you wish.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast