New Lounger
    Thanks

I.S. Traffic Limits and Cloud Backup

What to do in a wired and metered world? In a Star Trek world, I take my files to the transporter room and beam them up to the cloud. But in the confines of the Internet Service world, Comcast charges me extra for transferring more than 300 GB per month. So, nothing keeps me from considering a better/bigger/cheaper Cloud backup service quite like the threat of I.S. overage charges for the first upload. It isn't even that I actually backup more than 300 GB. But after the family gobbles up Internet-based entertainment all month, there isn't much of the 300 GB limit left for file transfers.

Yes, I know I could just be content with an external hard drive...thank you for that suggestion. But if cloud storage is the objective, is there anything I can do within the confines of 2013, and short of putting a block on Netflix, to rob my I.S. of those overage charges?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a conflict that looks likely to build before it breaks. I think just yesterday, the Verizon CEO mentioned that unlimited traffic is bad for providers.
    So, on the consumer side, everyone wants to be on line with three devices all the time, playing HD movies and using cloud storage. While the providers want to limit traffic because they see it getting out of control. What we need is a disruptive technology that provides high bandwidth at dirt cheap cost.
    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If you can find a provider who is unlimited, scrap Comcast and tell them why. Otherwise, you're stuck in the same boat as LOTS of other folks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The idea I slapped aside in my first post--just backing up to an external drive--is sounding more appealing. Maybe I run a wire out to the shed at the back of the property, and I can call it off-site storage. Secure? My wife says no one in their right mind would go into that mess.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodough View Post
    What to do in a wired and metered world? In a Star Trek world, I take my files to the transporter room and beam them up to the cloud. But in the confines of the Internet Service world, Comcast charges me extra for transferring more than 300 GB per month. So, nothing keeps me from considering a better/bigger/cheaper Cloud backup service quite like the threat of I.S. overage charges for the first upload. It isn't even that I actually backup more than 300 GB. But after the family gobbles up Internet-based entertainment all month, there isn't much of the 300 GB limit left for file transfers.

Yes, I know I could just be content with an external hard drive...thank you for that suggestion. But if cloud storage is the objective, is there anything I can do within the confines of 2013, and short of putting a block on Netflix, to rob my I.S. of those overage charges?
    Cloud should be part of the objective, not the objective. I see local backup as the first line. To the cloud I just backup the files I can't really miss.
    Rui
    -------
    R4