Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question RAID hard drives

My computer has RAID but I am not sure what that is. I think it is a second hard drive running in tandem with the first, always in sync. But it doesn't show on COMPUTER as another drive. What I don't understand, is how would I access it if my main hard drive were to be corrupted.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    RAID definition.

Most likely you have 2 disks set up as RAID 1 where the disks are an exact copy of each other. The theory is that if one disk fails the other will take over, but in practice this doesn't work very well unless you have a dedicated hardware RAID controller.
    The downside of RAID on a home computer is the cost of the second disk. In my opinion you are better off using the second disk to perform backup via USB / network. A backup is always needed when you accidentally delete / change a file and you can also use it to recover your computer to another box in case of fire etc.

Can you tell us why you think it's RAID and send us screen shots of Disk Manager (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc)?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Kodalika,

Also just because your computer supports raid does not mean that it has been setup to do that. As another check you can see if it is setup in your BIOS.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, here is screen shot you requested.DiskMngmt.JPG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, on the invoice of computer it says: Serial ATA II RAID I with dual 1TB hard drives.

Thanks
    All you ever wanted to know about RAID (Random Array of Inexpensive Disks) as opposed to JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). Yet another mainframe technology ported to PCs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels
    Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Kodalika (2013-09-12)

Thanks
    Kodalika,

Doesn't look like you're setup for RAID to me. As I said your system is RAID capable but it's not in use. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this about the RAID I on my computer. It's an icon in systray. Does this look like it's set up and in use? RAID 1.JPG

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure looks like it to me, I reckon disk management would just see that as one basic disk. One way to know for sure though is to crack the case and take a peek. If you see two 1TB drives on SATA ports right next to one another then seeing is believing.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Kodalika (2013-09-14)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you have hardware RAID level 1. If you want to test whether it works, turn it off, take off the lid and disconnect one of the hard disks, then turn it on and see if it boots.

cheers, Paul

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Kodalika (2013-09-14)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kodalika, good morning.
    I have RAID on my machine and I use Mode 0. Your screen shot shows mode 1. Do you know the difference ? All RAIDs will use two HDs. Mode 0 is when they are used as what they are, two HDs, when one fills up then the data goes to the other one, it is like having a 2 TB HD. Mode 1, as your setup is, uses both HDs as twins, the data is written to both devices as mirrors, clones. Safety in numbers ? Maybe. Find out what your machine RAID setup offers as safety, if one HD fails, what happens ? What can you do to repair the bad one. ? How will you be advised of the problem ? A little bit of RTFM here. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Kodalika, good morning.
    I have RAID on my machine and I use Mode 0. Your screen shot shows mode 1. Do you know the difference ? All RAIDs will use two HDs. Mode 0 is when they are used as what they are, two HDs, when one fills up then the data goes to the other one, it is like having a 2 TB HD. Mode 1, as your setup is, uses both HDs as twins, the data is written to both devices as mirrors, clones. Safety in numbers ? Maybe. Find out what your machine RAID setup offers as safety, if one HD fails, what happens ? What can you do to repair the bad one. ? How will you be advised of the problem ? A little bit of RTFM here. Jean.
    Jean, read the link I gave in post 6. Raid 0 interleaves data between two disks for performance. Raid 1 mirrors data on the two disks. If one disk fails, the system continues using the 1 good disk which is why Paul suggested pulling 1 disk to test the failure case. Raid 1 is a good backup mechanism to cover disk hardware failure. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover human failure (accidental file delete, virus infection, bad updates, etc.) A good imaging or other backup procedure is still required.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, hello.
    Your intention in my education is paramount, thank you. My note was for Kodalika who seemed to not know the ins and outs of RAID. I should have mentioned this "interleaving" process, my bad. I inherited an HP desktop that has RAID set up in BIOS but there is the only one HD, this defeats the purposes. As I repeatedly do clones, there lies my protection. Have a great day too. Jean.

NB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID is a very nice read.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-09-19 at 11:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ix-nay on the Ypo-tay

Allow me to complicate this conversation a trifle, FWIW. Several years ago, I was migrating from WinXP to Debian Linux. On XP, I had been running 2 WD Raptors as a stripeset RAID array, in order to reduce HDD latency and I thought I was going to be able to do exactly the same thing in Linux. I was very puzzled that the only option I could find during setup was to use Linux software RAID. I went looking for drivers for the RAID chip on my mobo. In a past W2K system, I had had a PCI Adaptec RAID card, and just assumed that that capability had migrated onto modern mobos, like has happened with video and audio and modems and network adapters and, and, and...
    After wasting huge amounts of time (silly me) looking for drivers and cursing Linux, I found out that the "RAID chip" on my pricey mobo was simply an additional conventional SATA controller with its own dedicated SATA jacks, but that all the nuts and bolts of the RAID functionality were actually being done in software which I had naively believed to be just a driver that handled IO for a full-dress onboard RAID card. (One would never have guessed this from the mobo manual.) I threw up my hands and reluctantly used the Linux software RAID and, as advertised, it was at least as good as what I had before, minus the occasional array failure I had seen at startup (even when one of the Raptors began to deteriorate). The irony, of course, was that I actually WAS able to do exactly the same thing I had been doing before: I just didn't know that I had been using software RAID all along.
    Last edited by Casual_Tinkerer; 2013-09-19 at 11:11. Reason: Typo

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I was designing my current computer six years ago, I considered using RAID1 because it was a popular topic at the time and Dell was offering it on their consumer desktop computers. Then I came across this article http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/art...rible-Idea-29/ and decided not to use RAID. I don't miss it and it appears that Dell no longer offers RAID at all on their consumer desktop computers. Perhaps they learned the same lesson as Puget Systems. I've found that disc imaging, once I got it setup properly, is a good substitute for RAID1. Also, with imaging to an external drive you can store that drive in a fireproof safe or an offsite location.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudsandskye For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2013-09-29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast