Lounger
    Thanks

Question Office 2007 security updates

I do not have Office 2007, but from time to time I get it as an important update among the several that MS offers in its Tuesday roundups. Do I really need it, without Office 2007. If not, how can I skip it without getting nagged again to download and install. Thanks...

Sherm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You probably have some Office 2007 component installed and don't know about it. I'd install the update and not worry about it.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You probably have some Office 2007 component installed and don't know about it. I'd install the update and not worry about it.

Joe
    thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Still not sure what it might be, perhaps a reader app of some sort so that I can read docs without having Word installed. Normally, I use Open Office, or would you believe I still have a copy of Office 85, that more or less works...:-). Thanks for the help

Sherm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shermank View Post
    ... or would you believe I still have a copy of Office 85, that more or less works...:-).
    95 perhaps. Office wasn't around until 1990.

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    of course, 95...one of those typo thingies....

Sherm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Check your "uninstall a program" list for one of the Office reader applications.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Check your "uninstall a program" list for one of the Office reader applications.

Joe
    Nothing unusual in registry. At one time I used a stand alone Office PPS reader, but deleted it years ago in favor of Open Office, now Libre Office. btw, I also found a reference at Microsoft which says there is a problem from time to time with a repeat call for installation of the Office 2007 security software. MS says they have not found a complete answer to that issue. So it goes...thanks everyone...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by shermank View Post
    Nothing unusual in registry. At one time I used a stand alone Office PPS reader, but deleted it years ago in favor of Open Office, now Libre Office. btw, I also found a reference at Microsoft which says there is a problem from time to time with a repeat call for installation of the Office 2007 security software. MS says they have not found a complete answer to that issue. So it goes...thanks everyone...
    When offered it again just right click on the update and choose "hide". you will not be offered it again.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, shermank.
    I do not either have Office 2007 running on any of my machines. I still run O2K to my total satisfaction.
    Last week my working daughter came to visit and had some .docx and xls to work on and she downloaded and installed Excel- viewer and Word-viewer on my loaner machine. Now, like you, I get all kinds of Upgrades to them. I would venture that that machine now sends to MSU that it needs those upgrades. Look in Control Panel -> Programmes and Features if this is the case in your machine. Have a nice day. Jean.