New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win XP dead after blackout

My computer had its usual "after blackout hangover." Whenever we lose AC power long enough that I have to shut down my UPS, my computer will not start up normally (absolutly nothing happens when the power button is pressed). This has happened 6 times in recent years, and the consistent cure has been to leave it off with no AC applied overnight. Then , connecting the AC plug and pressing the power button on the tower starts it normally. And it starts normally until the next prolonged loss of AC power. (2003, Dell Dimension XPS, WinXP Pro desktop.)

What is preventing it from restarting immediately after AC restoration?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I reckon your power supply is not happy.
    The power supply controls the power on via the motherboard, either with the power button or wake on LAN/modem. The power supply always provides standby power to the motherboard to allow control and when asked it then provides all the other power to run the ancillaries. When you turn the power off / remove the AC cord the power supply shuts down completely, but it should fire up the standby power as soon as you re-apply power. Leaving it off overnight suggests lingering power in the power supply prevents it working, but this is discharged after several hours.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It isn't necessary to leave it off overnight.
    Just disconnect the power plug, drain all capacitors by pressing the power on switch, then wait 5 min.

As soon as your power goes out and your UPS kicks in, begin the process of saving and closing out all applications, then shut down normally.
    Make certain that when you do get up and running after a sudden power loss that a "check disc" is performed, especially with Windows XP.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would consider changing the battery, I had weird start up issues on an old machine till I did that.