2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Custom computer builder?

Can anyone recommend a reliable business that custom builds PCs?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Thanks
    Dell will do a good amount of customization for you if you call them and order a PC. I'm sure that other well-known companies would as well.

If you aren't sure who to go with, I would stick with a well-known company like Dell when ordering a custom PC.

The problem with some of the small PC companies is that when they are building your PC, they order the cheapest parts they can find, in order to save money. You'll probably get better quality parts with someone like Dell.

Also, a few years from now, when you need to order a replacement part for your PC, if you bought it from Dell, they will have very complete information on your PC available on-line. For example, you may want to add memory. You will easily be able to figure out what kind of memory to order by going to their website and looking up your PC.

On the other hand, if you purchase a "no-name" custom PC, you might have a hard time finding the specs on your computer when it is time to upgrade the memory, or other similar situations.

I cannot, however, give the well-known companies an unqualified recommendation. There are two ways that you might do better with a local PC company:

1. Dell is known for putting weak power supplies in their desktop computers. If you want to add stuff to your computer, such as a second hard drive or a better video card, you might have to also upgrade the power supply.

2. HP (and probably others) has been selling some desktop computers with what appears to be a laptop motherboard. The problem is that a laptop makes certain compromises in order to achieve portability. There's no reason to live with such compromises when you have a desktop computer with plenty of room in the case for a regular motherboard.

Still, if I wasn't sure, I'd go with someone like Dell.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-09-13 at 16:50.

Thanks
    And then there are a few boutique makers like Puget, all high quality components, carefully chosen cases, etc. Spend an hour or two looking over their site: http://www.pugetsystems.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    And then there are a few boutique makers like Puget, all high quality components, carefully chosen cases, etc. Spend an hour or two looking over their site: http://www.pugetsystems.com/
    This is good to know. Based on my decades in this business, I have generally been skeptical of small, local PC builders.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decibelle View Post
    Miss Ellen,

Hello... building your own "PC" is really no big deal ... and does not require a great amount of "Tech". You just have to identify what it is you want to achieve as the first step ...and go from there.. If you can answer those questions ...you can then put together what is needed hardware wise.If you could state your preferences, i could help you put together a list of hardware and places to purchase them ...Basically something like this

1. CPU \ Motherboard ...type and size

2. Hard drive choice ..SSD, HD, CD DVD\RW. How much storage is needed?

3. Power supply needed to run these.

4. What Case is needed

5. What OS to run ...etc, etc.. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-09-14 at 08:07.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have heard good things about Sager Notebook Computer. Also I believe they do not come loaded with junkware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    When I built my PC it was my first attempt.
    It took me forever, months, to figure what I needed and what would work together etc.
    But, I finally did it and have never been happier.
    I have built one for my son also...

It's just an assembly job and you just have to make sure all the parts fit.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Give us an idea what your looking at in terms of computer power and parts.

I went for one of those custom built PC's a few years back and was so disappointed with it that I taught myself
    how to build my own computers. It took about 3-4 months, ...and this was starting from a complete hardware n00bs
    point of view. Once you get started building you'll never look back, but you've got to have the motivation. It's definitely not for everyone.

I recommend going to the websites of Dell, HP, and Lenovo to get an idea of their specific setups and what customizations they'll allow.
    Going around to brick and mortars stores is usually a dead end, as much of the crap you'll find there is just that...crap.
    Many brand names will let you choose the processor, memory, GPU, and hard drive configurations,... to a very LIMITED extent.
    But rarely will any of them allow you to choose the motherboard, one of the most important parts of the build imo.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-09-14 at 13:46.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decibelle View Post
    Possibly the most important question not yet asked is, "Where do you live?"

Internationally, one of the few firms you could use is Dell (as mrjimphelps says), but smaller companies are usually country-dependent. If you live in the UK I could suggest about half a dozen!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    (why don't you put your location in your control panel, so we don't have to keep asking you "where are you?".)

And, if you live in Florida you might want to get a computer from "Smart Guys Computers" near Orlando.

They have been building PC's for many years and definitely know what will work with what.
    I trusted them to sell me all the parts I needed for this PC I'm on right now, and that was 8 years ago.
    I already had the case that I wanted to use, , , all I needed was the parts to go inside.

While I was still building computers, before I retired, I bought almost all my parts there. I was just there again yesterday, picking up some DVD burners.

Your options are infinite, depending on where you live. But, it's nice to get your PC built by a local company, where you can walk in their door and get help if you need it, rather than some company off in China or some-such place. Eh?

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've decided to purchase from Maingear. They have a very good reputation and they're not too far from where I live.

Thanks
    I built several myself and when you are done feel free to email me for my therapists number...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not purchased a new computer in more than 15 years because I upgraded my parts as they became worn or obsolete. The best advice is to find a mom-and-pop local computer store that is going to live with you and your purchase. It may cost you a few dollars more but if something goes wrong I would not want the hassle of going to FedEx and try to ship something as big as a microwave oven to somebody across country for repair.

This is especially true if you're not very certain about what you want and feel uncomfortable doing your own PC repair. You want someone that you can talk to and can walk you through all the "stuff". Depending on where you are, you will find some pretty good local people who will work with you. Despite everything you read, PC builds today use a lot more standard parts than they used to before. The only component that I would purchase separately is the monitor because you want to purchase a monitor that is comfortable to your eyesight and stores like Best Buy or Micro Center will give you a good selection at a reasonable price. Other than that, I will go to mom-and-pop and tell them what you want.