Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best phone system for 89-year-old mother-in-law?

How can I call my 89 year old mother in law?

My 89 year old mother in law will soon move into the "low stress" unit of the nursing home where she lives. Her new room has WiFi and cell phone reception, but does NOT have a landline. We want to be able to call her on her telephone but she is not able to learn how to use a cell phone, iPhone, or other newer device. Consequently, I need one of the following:

1. a desk phone that is conventional in appearance but works over WiFi or as a cell phone, or
    2. a device that I can plug her existing phone (with RJ-11 jack) into that can work over WiFi or as a cell phone.

Can anyone suggest specific devices that match either of the above criteria?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Would she be able to use Skype on a laptop, if you set it up for her and she (or someone else) could start it up when necessary?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    netTALK DUO WiFi VOIP Phone Adapter -- appears to be a VOIP phone adapter (with free service) which will work with wifi internet:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2551864

If you go with this adapter, you'll probably need to bring a laptop along to get the thing set up; once it is set up, it will probably work fine. You simply plug a regular phone into it, and you're good to go.

I haven't seen any other VOIP phone adapters which use wifi.

The only concern I have about wifi and VOIP is that VOIP needs to have good, reliable bandwidth in order to work well. I wonder if sometimes wifi might not be up to the task.

Vonage is an excellent VOIP service, but to my knowledge it is only wired, not wifi. If she has a wired ethernet jack available, I would recommend that you go with Vonage.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-09-13 at 15:46.

Thanks
    It occurs to me that there is likely a much better solution to this problem -- Sprint, Verizon, and WalMart all offer home phone service. Basically, they provide a cellular adapter to you, and you put it where it gets a good signal. You then plug in your standard desktop phone into it, and you're in business. The only thing you need for the service to work is a cellular signal and an electrical outlet. But you don't use a cell phone with it, you use a standard desktop phone.

Sprint and Verizon charge $20 per month for the service. I'm not sure what WalMart charges.

This will absolutely be the simplest way to solve this; VOIP, Skype, and anything else will needlessly complicate things.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-09-14),cmptrgy (2013-09-14),jduncan (2013-09-19),Magna (2013-09-19),speedball (2013-09-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everybody for your replies. The Verizon option sounds like the simplest, and I may try that once she gets moved.

Thanks
    I use MagicJack Plus and love it...
    I have had it a long time and never had any problems with it.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Banyarola, for your recommendation of MagicJack Plus. I read the webpage about it and it seemed like it needed a wired internet access, not WiFI. Is that correct, or will it also work with WiFi?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    You can use it on wifi.

I have a friend that uses it on WiFi..

With the Magic jack you plug one end into a port on your WiFi modem and the phone into the Magic Jack..

If you look on their site you can look at the installation instructions.

Look Here http://magicjack.com/faq/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The MagicJack WiFi has been vaporware for a year. I didn't realize that when I suggested MagicJack as a possible solution for this situation.

Bruce

Thanks
    Well, like I said, my friend uses Magic Jack Plus.
    I also use the plus version.

She has wireless and plugs the Magic Jack into her computer because the wireless modem is upstairs.

I have my magic jack plugged into my wireless modem because it's near the computer and I don't need to have the computer on to make or receive calls.
    If the MagicJack is plugged into the computer you need to leave your computer on to use the magicJack.

I never intended to say the Magic Jack was a wifi device...I didn't even know they thought about a wifi magic jack.

It gets kinda confusing...But, it's really simple once you understand it...

Here's a YouTube video on installing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_aAjwbGhn4

Here's another https://jaysonberger.com/faqs/index....120&artlang=en
    Last edited by Banyarola; 2013-09-14 at 16:44.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think the intended user here has a computer, router or modem; just a hotspot.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-09-14 at 18:52.

Thanks
    Well, then that settles that.

You would need at least an internet line and a modem for Magic Jack Plus to work.
    You don't need a computer with Magic Jack Plus..Just a internet line and service and a modem.

Thanks
    Also, he wants to keep it simple. I can't think of anything simpler than the Sprint or Verizon home phone service.

It even has an 8-hour battery backup built in, in case the power goes out.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't think of anything simpler than the Sprint or Verizon home phone service
    The Verizon home service is a small module about the size of a typical portable home phone base. It uses AC Power to keep the batteries charged. It has a phone jack that allows you to connect any home phone unit to it. You can even connect a portable home phone unit to the Verizon base. The home phone would be a separate purchase of your choice. It can be any home phone from any manufacturer. Then your mother would have a typical portable home phone unit, which would be very comfortable for her to use. All you need is a Verizon signal available there.
    The interesting part of that Verizon unit is that the Verizon base connects to any Verizon cell tower. It is in fact also portable and can be carried anywhere around the country that has Verizon cell towers. It can even be used in your car if you still have charged batteries.
    USA unlimited service is about $20 a month. If you have a few spare minutes, you should stop at your local verizon store and have a look see.
    Regards
    Michael

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael37713 For This Useful Post:

mapletrail (2013-09-19)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast