Lounger
    Thanks

Questions about Outlook 2007

I have always used outlook express for years. But I know will have to get used to something else when I move from win XP.
    So recently bought MS Office 2007 with Outlook.

I think I am getting used to Outlook but have a few questions, please.

Outlook is not as fast as outlook express. Anything I can turn off. I will not ever use outlook for anything more than what I used OE for?

I have 3 email accounts. Hotmail, Gmail and Outlook.com. The outlook.com email goes to separate folder for its own inbox. I installed using some type of outlook connector. I am surprised that Outlook 2007 can handle Gmail and send it to my regular inbox but can’t do the same with an outlook.com account by Microsoft.
    I am missing anything?

I have also always used windows address book or contacts. I don't really understand why there is an outlook address book and a windows address book/contacts.
    Which one should I get in the habit of using that would allow me to use it for all other programs I might use? Like MS Word or a third party email program.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You can access your outlook.com email from the Outlook 2007 program. You'll need to set up an email account in the Outlook 2007 program for your outlook.com account.

You will need to choose between pop3 and imap. All of the settings for either option can be found here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eive-from-app#

There is a setting in the Outlook program in which you can specify where your incoming email goes (i.e. which folder).

Choose Tools / Account Settings. Highlight the listing for your outlook.com account, then select Change. I'm not sure where you go from there, because I have Outlook set up only as an Exchange client, not as pop3 or imap. But you should be able to specify the default folder for your incoming email.

By the way, I use Thunderbird for my pop3 and imap email accounts. It's free, and it's a good program, in my opinion. You may want to consider it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-09-13 at 14:22.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did try that but you don't have the option to change to a different folder if installed by the outlook connector.
    Had tried that pop3 setup. And tried a couple of time again but still could not get it to work with pop3 with those settings. Just with the outlook connector so type is MAPI and does not allow you to change.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with the Outlook Connector; it sounds like a program which will automatically get Outlook set up for your outlook.com email account.

I was speaking of manually creating an email account in Outlook, and then using either the pop3 or imap settings for outlook.com in order to access your outlook.com email account.

I've manually set up plenty of pop3 and imap email accounts in Outlook 2007. Each one had its own PST file, which means that each one had its own inbox, separate from all the others. Have you tried manually setting up the outlook.com account in Outlook 2007 by using the settings I linked to above?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, tried it 3 times just in case I set something wrong. But still could not get it with the settings in the link. And had pop enabled on my outlook.com settings

Lounger
    Thanks
    Update. Did try again but no luck setting up a outlook.com email as a pop3 in outlook 2007. Works with hotmail and gmail.
    Also I can get outlook.com email in pop3 if using with outlook express.
    Comapred settings and does not make sense.
    But Outlook Express has always been a great simple and easy to use program.

Also any opinion on which type of address book I should stick with

thanks again

Lounger
    Thanks
    Did finally get it to work. Not sure if it was because settings a little different in link. Or finally got an email from outlook.com saying to go to outlook.com and log in to my account again. Think outlook was blocking use until I logged in again. But just took awhile to get their email to do so. So the test was not working until received their email.