Thread: Back Up

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Back Up

Any body know of a free back up program for XP home?

I just had a crash and the motherboard had to be replaced and the hard drive formatted.

I had all my data on another disc so not problems there.

I thought I had backed up with Easeus To Do Backup 1.1, but when I tried it appeared it only back up the Registry, see information on, http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo...-10964460.html where I download it

Any ideas

Oldn

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-09-15)

Thanks
    Many of the brand name imaging applications still support Windows XP, like...

Macrium Reflect

Acronis TI

BootIt® Bare Metal Not Free

Norton Ghost

EaseUS Todo Backup

2013 Best Disk Imaging Software Comparisons and Reviews

Whatever software you finally decide on, make certain that you READ the fact sheets and how-to manuals in their ENTIRETY.
    Expecting to create an image and ending up with only a registry backup is a pretty big oversight on your part.
    Always go directly to the vendor site to download product, view fact sheets, and study manuals.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-09-14 at 15:15.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-09-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint

You put forward EaseUS Todo Backup

I thought I had backed up with Easeus To Do Backup 1.1, but when I tried it appeared it only back up the Registry, see information on, http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo...-10964460.html where I download it

Was it me or the software

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Oldn,

The current version of EaseUS ToDo backup is 6.0. The link you provided is broken! Here's the current link.

Or straight from EaseUS. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    MS Rules....if you backup your C drive with one motherboard and then try to do a restore using another (different) motherboard, the restore will not run.

In that case, you'd need to have all your OS and programs on disks so you could re-install them and your data files on CD or flash drive so you could copy them back to your HD.

I've been doing whole partition backups since 1997, using Ghost run from a DOS boot disk.
    I'm currently using Ghost 11.5, the last of the DOS based Backups from Ghost.(symantec)
    With my Ghost 11.5 boot disk, I can boot up any PC and back up any OS from '98 to Win-8.1, even Linux.
    It also has a High Compression option, for baking up to DVD's.

In all those years, it's never failed me.

I found an ISO for it recently, one day, while snooping around on the internet. Go figure.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-09-16)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dr

When I tried to use the back up I did not know it was the mother board doing it.
    Thanks for the MS rule I did not know that

Thanks
    It's a very old rule.
    And I'm not sure if in 2013 that rule still applies.
    I'm sure that some Super Guru will weigh in on the subject.

But just in case it does, I do a data file backup to two external drives, every day, to insure the preservation of my own data files. I've been collecting those files for 13 years now, , , I'd really hate to loose them.

Then, if I'm forced to replace my 8 year old motherboard, with a new one, I won't loose any data when I have to reinstall my OS and programs.

Or, I can just copy my data to my backup system and go on as if nothing ever happened.

It's always nice to have options! Eh?

But when you don't do good backups, you seriously diminish your options.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    MS Rules....if you backup your C drive with one motherboard and then try to do a restore using another (different) motherboard, the restore will not run.
    That depends on the software being used. I've used TeraByte's imaging software a number of times for significant hardware upgrades. Did it with retail versions of Windows 2000 Pro, XP, (with the imaging component of BootIt Next Generation) and Windows 7 Ultimate (using Image for DOS, which is packaged with Image for Windows).

There's a simple trick that makes it go quite smoothly. With Windows 2000 Pro I went from an AMD K6III+ 450MHz in a Via Socket 7 board to an Intel Pentium III in an Intel Socket 370 board. Changed graphics cards at the same time as well, but can't remember the model - an older ATI to a newer ATI.

After the restore it booted and started asking for drivers, which I had at the ready on a CD. Much quicker than reinstalling everything.

With XP I went from the PIII in the Socket 370 to a P4E in an Intel D875PBZ. Same smooth results. A little prep and a little trick plus the right imaging software.

With Windows 7 I built a duplicate rig to use as a bench machine, restored an image to it. It booted clean, even activated, but I used an uninstalled retail Product Key to keep everything on the up and up.

TeraByte now offers the OS Deployment Tool free for personal use complete with sample scripts "to support hardware independent restores for different hardware."

I'll probably give that a go (when I get around to a new build) to move what I have now on this Inspiron D580 over to new hardware.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-09-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bbearren

Thanks for getting back to me.

“That depends on the software being used” I use Window XP and to back up my system dive C: I used EaseUS ToDo Backup

CNET Staff review of EaseUS ToDo Backup
    http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo...nt;contentBody

I says it backs up “Easeus Todo Backup is just such a free backup and restore utility. Like any good backup tool, it will back up your entire system's current state, data, settings and all, or just what you want it to, including partitions or full disks, and restore your computer in the event of a hard-disk crash or other calamity. Its Disk Cloning feature will help you migrate your operating system and data to a new hard disk when it's time to replace the old one.

So why did it back up only the registry, that is what the repair man said, When I tried it, it seemed to go through the motions and said it had done it but it was just the same, I suppose it could have been the mother board when I tried it, but not when the repair man after replacing the motherboard.

Oldn

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with EaseUS ToDo, but others here are. Perhaps someone who uses EaseUS ToDo can add some insight. I can say that with any backup/image, the true test is to restore the image. That is the only way I know of to be certain that you have accomplished what you set out to do.

I do this quite frequently with my drive images to insure that they are valid and functional. Medico does the same. He uses different software than I use, but he gets reliable results, just as I do. Others also perform this same check with their own imaging software of choice, also with reliable results. The best advice I can offer in selecting a backup solution is to put it through its paces, and be sure that it is doing what you intend for it to do.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Rather than restoring an image, I mount it to a virtual drive using Acronis True Image. If I can then browse the drive, I'm confident I can restore the image if needed. At the very least, I know I can get my data off of it. Most image back up software provides a method to browse the image.

Jerry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-10-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I'm with Jerry on this one. I always have my Macrium Reflect Verify the Image immediately after making it (via an advance options setting) then after I reboot back into windows (I always create my images from boot media) I mount the image and poke around a bit to make sure all the really important stuff can be read. It's a lot quicker.

BTW: I agree with Bbearren...Keep one recent Image at a friends house, bank vault, or at least a really good fire safe! Houses do burn down, get flooded, etc...just watch the nightly news.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    With all the tinkering I do, quite often restoring is not an option, it's a necessity. I've probably done more restorations than most. Then again, the way I have Windows carved up, restoring my OS only takes about 6 minutes.

And the only true and undeniable proof that an image is good, is restoring it without issue.

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments chaps

Jerry that sounds good, I copy all my data to a usb drive it is not that I want to copy its just c: drive I have only programs there.

Where can I down load it