Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 problem or hardware?

Very frustrated after hours of trying to setup a new desktop.

I have had two new Lenovo H535 desktops in the past few days. Out of the box they will play a you tube video.
    But after I started using the computer for a couple of hours. I try youtube again, and it comes up with an error cannot play. Over an hour with tech support on the first one. They took control of it and tried a number of things and gave up. They spent about an hour trying different things. Finally said for me to return it to the store and were not sure what the problem was..
    Now same thing has happened with the second one. They seem to think it has something to do with flash player. But you can't reinstall that, since it is part of IE 10. I also have same problem with Chrome. Also I can play other videos just not from YouTube.
    Can play them on my old desktop so not an Internet connection problem.
    On the second PC I tried to take my time to setup all my programs and settings to see if this happened again.
    I did make a restore point before installing each and every program except windows 8 updates. And verified that You Tube worked before creating each restore points. But had the problem again.
    Then went back and tried to restore to each point. Worked before at these points but not after restored the points.
    After this happened on the first PC I could not play any videos. Windows media player for videos on my HD or other videos on the Web.
    When this happened with the second PC it only affected You Tube.
    But still could play videos on my HD and other videos on the web. But not You Tube itself.
    This whole problem seems so strange and does not make any sense.

I also try to do a complete restore with the Lenov rescue program to go back to like new. But then still cannot play a you tube video.
    So it seems like it is just a coincidence I had the same problem, but figured it would not hurt to ask.
    I am not a tech guy but seems impossible for it to change something that restore would not correct, right?
    On the second machine, I also did all windows updates and updates the drivers for the video.
    On both machines I did install a small desktop program to play back a DVR. I did check use in win xp mode for compatibility. I it worked fine. And checked and YouTube worked fine after I installed this. I also installed two other programs. A calendar program and an email program.
    Same thing, YouTube worked fine after and I made restore points. These were the only 3 things I installed on the second machine. And when I later went back to these restore points YouTube would not work.

I did not really need a new desktop now anyways. So returned again and gave up after about 15 hours for me trying to setup a new desktop..
    I may wait until Black Friday and try a different brand.
    I am guessing this problem has something to do with windows 8.
    Should I wait awhile on Windows 8 or could it have been another problem.
    What would be your best guess.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Your problem may be with IE 10. Unfortunately, I believe you're stuck with IE 10 when you have Windows 8, that is, unless you try a different browser, such as Firefox.

If a different browser solves your problem, I think that's what you'll have to do.

Thanks
    Rather than rely on System Restore, once it's working again, create an Image. This Image will be an exact copy, stored as a compressed file on a different partition or Ext. HD (best option). This will restore the PC to exactly what it looked like when the Image was created. I would use a 3rd party Imaging app for this chore. You can read about imaging in the Maintenance Forum.

System Restore helps with restoring system files at times, but is not nearly as comprehensive as an Image as system restore does very little for installed apps and non-system files.

I do not believe this is IE 10 as you have the same problem with Chrome. I would think Bruce's link is a better alternative to try.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Rather than rely on System Restore, once it's working again, create an Image. This Image will be an exact copy, stored as a compressed file on a different partition or Ext. HD (best option). This will restore the PC to exactly what it looked like when the Image was created. I would use a 3rd party Imaging app for this chore. You can read about imaging in the Maintenance Forum.

System Restore helps with restoring system files at times, but is not nearly as comprehensive as an Image as system restore does very little for installed apps and non-system files.

I do not believe this is IE 10 as you have the same problem with Chrome. I would think Bruce's link is a better alternative to try.
    After the windows restores, I did do a restore with the Lenovo rescue software that can with the PC. It was suppose to put it back to factory settings. But when I use that I noticed that it did keep my Favorites in IE. So it could not have been a complete restore right?
    I had Paragon software for imaging. But I had not installed it yet. Was going to do that last after I got everything set right. I then I was going to uninstall the Lenovo software since I heard that you should not have two imaging software programs on the same machine. Is that right?
    I have use Acronis for years on my win Xp machine, with no probkems. My version would not work on win 8. And heard so many bad reviews about the new Acronis that I was going to switch to Paragon.
    Again returned the PCs so can't try anything now. Just was trying to understand what happened since it did not make any sense to me. Could I have had two bad computers? Was the Lenovo software really not a good imaging program. And did not really but it back to factory settings? Did I try windows 8 too soon?
    I was going to wait until black friday sales and maybe try again. But all this has me wondering if I need to wait another year or so.
    thanks again

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayh78 View Post
    After the windows restores, I did do a restore with the Lenovo rescue software that can with the PC. It was suppose to put it back to factory settings. But when I use that I noticed that it did keep my Favorites in IE. So it could not have been a complete restore right?
    I had Paragon software for imaging. But I had not installed it yet. Was going to do that last after I got everything set right. I then I was going to uninstall the Lenovo software since I heard that you should not have two imaging software programs on the same machine. Is that right?
    I have use Acronis for years on my win Xp machine, with no probkems. My version would not work on win 8. And heard so many bad reviews about the new Acronis that I was going to switch to Paragon.
    Again returned the PCs so can't try anything now. Just was trying to understand what happened since it did not make any sense to me. Could I have had two bad computers? Was the Lenovo software really not a good imaging program. And did not really but it back to factory settings? Did I try windows 8 too soon?
    I was going to wait until black friday sales and maybe try again. But all this has me wondering if I need to wait another year or so.
    thanks again

thanks
    There was obviously something specific to your setup causing the issues. I have been running Windows 8 for months and I have no issues with YouTube videos in any browser.

As to Acronis, I have been using Acronis TI 2013 without a single issue, both in Windows 8 and Windows 7. It's slower than older versions, but it is as reliable as it ever was, at least for me.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    X2 with Acronis 2013. No problems at all.

Win 8.1 should be released in Oct. on or about the 17th. Might be worth waiting until then.

I have been using Win 8 exclusively on 2 PCs since it was first released without problems. I do highly recommend it. As Rui states there seems to be something specific with your installation. Perhaps there is some sort of interaction problem between 2 apps. It is quite perplexing what could be going on. I do not trust the factory recovery options. In your case it seems to not do exactly what it is supposed to do.

Have you tried a Win 8 Reset (remove everything and reinstall Windows)? This might help in your case. The factory recovery just is not doing what is expected.

Once you do Reset, and assuming things are working, start creating Images right then, and new Images after every couple of apps. Once you get things working properly, if it were me, I would eliminate the recovery partition to reclaim that space, but that is only me. You do what seems appropriate in your case. I never used the factory tools and apps either so in my case I removed them. I now have reclaimed all that space and use a generic Win 8. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I do not believe this is IE 10 as you have the same problem with Chrome.
    I didn't read his entire original post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I didn't read his entire original post.
    it was a long and involved post.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, there is nothing wrong with Lenovo. I have one as a back-up and love it; especially for the price!

is the bottom line problem not being able to play U-Tube Videos on a Lenovo PC running Windows 8 (HOME ?)
    It also appears that playing *non-U-Tube videos stored on a hard drive works using the W8 Media Player works fine and with *N0 problems.
    You do remember that U-Tube "videos" play within your web browser and not W8 Media Player, right?
    Have you played with you web browser settings?
    You did run Windows Update just for fun to pick-up any recent W8-MS files, right?
    Last edited by BigFatBoy; 2013-09-19 at 13:59. Reason: grammar

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I bet it's the flash player. I had two adobe flash player updates on the 19th and no more you tube sound. It's X'd out. Sound works everywhere but you tube. The flash player does not show up in the programs for uninstall or updates. It's like an invisible player on the computer. Doesn't show up anywhere. I did a search, found it and can't delete it. The flash player also had issues with Smilebox so I bet that's it. And I also bet that Adobe will get enough complaints that it does a fix and suddenly all is well again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureMs View Post
    I bet it's the flash player. I had two adobe flash player updates on the 19th and no more you tube sound. It's X'd out. Sound works everywhere but you tube. The flash player does not show up in the programs for uninstall or updates. It's like an invisible player on the computer. Doesn't show up anywhere. I did a search, found it and can't delete it. The flash player also had issues with Smilebox so I bet that's it. And I also bet that Adobe will get enough complaints that it does a fix and suddenly all is well again.
    So far that does sound like the best possiable explanation. That's what tech support thought also. problem was flashplayer is now part of IE10 with windows 8. So you can't uninstall and reinstall.
    But also would not work with chrome. I wonder if it is built in with chrome
    thanks
    Last edited by Rayh78; 2013-09-21 at 20:27.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayh78 View Post
    But also would not work with chrome. I wonder if it is built in with chrome
    thanks
    Chrome also includes the flash player.

I always install Chrome and Firefox. I have found situations where things won't work with one and will with the other (tbh, I need to test the websites I develop in all of them, but the previous statement is nevertheless true). So, I would advise you to install Firefox.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try logging in to Safe Mode with networking in Win8, which is much more difficult to
    do than just pressing the F8 key at startup as you do in XP/Vista/Win7. This page
    provides that information.

How to boot into Safe Mode using Windows 8 and how to boot into Safe Mode from within Win8 -

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Boot-...ows-8-Win8.htm

You can access the web in that mode and use YouTube. I have just done so using Firefox and IE10.

If you can use YouTube, you know it's something to do with Win8 and you can try disabling browser addons, disable startup programs, services, etc.

If the same thing happens in Safe Mode, then the mystery continues.