Lounger
    Thanks

Talking ~ msvfw32.dll is missing from your computer ~

googling told me that msvfw32.dll could be anything (i didn't see anything helpful when googling within a year so i google all years), and some sites say redownloading is a bad idea. if i should, what's the safest source and where do you put the file?

advise please? anyone familiar and knowledgeable with msvfw32.dll?

win 7 64 bit
    Last edited by computerbabyproblems; 2013-09-08 at 22:11.

Thanks
    If this is a recent problem, two things to try:

1) Use system restore to a point before the problem occurred

2) open an elevated command prompt (or use installation or repair disk and choose repair my computer, then command prompt) type sfc /scannow

Hopefully one of these will solve your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should run a scan of your system using your favorite anti-malware tool also.

If neither of Ted's points in post #2 work try re-installing the program missing the dll.

Joe

Thanks
    Try a clean boot and see if you still get the error message:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    *** wonders if you ever have these kinds of problem on macs..... (would really like to know)

did the scan thing, and then checked the log it gave for "msvfw"

found these:

"Cannot repair member file"
    "Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing"

"Could not reproject corrupted file"
    "source file in store is also corrupted"

error happens when opening an adobe program and i guess the program uses that file

guess you can try the repair install -- Windows 7 Home Premium Download

==

the "ITEMS THAT WILL BE RESET TO DEFAULT OR AFFECTED:" in -- http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html -- is too extensive, and i dont keep any kind of discs anymore (may not fix it)

why do people say not to dl the dll file -- [SOLVED] msvfw32.dll missing - Tech Support Forum -- seems to have fixed it for others

another problem that may be related that i tried taking care of finally --> sp1 never installs (the other window updates installes) -- dling the "standalone" (from the mircosoft site) and sp1 gives the error msg to install

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) -- Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [August 2013] from Official Microsoft Download Center

but i run in to the same problem -- Windows update stuck. Fixt it stuck. So is KB947821. What should I do? - Super User

i retry and eventually it does reinstall but the service pack 1 keeps giving the same error msg of not completing/failing

but it looks like i should just re-install if i want to fix this -- Win 7 32 bit update to SP1 (KB976932) will not complete configuring "Failed | Windows Secrets Lounge

Lounger
    Thanks
    i remembered that this is a used dell laptop so i never had the discs in the first place

if it fixes this, i'll just post that it solved it....

the file may have been damaged by one of these within the past 2 year.... (no idea):

comodo program manager
    revo uninstaller

Lounger
    Thanks
    is it safe to just download it -- Microsoft Video for Windows DLL -- seems a lot easier

some sites say to not download it (have no idea why)

Thanks
    It sounds ds as though your PC is really corrupted. I would definitely reinstall the OS if it were my PC. I would download Win 7 with SP1 ISO file, burn it to DVD then choose Custom Install and reinstall. (Save all your data someplace safe before the installation).

At this point you and we have no idea if this is a corrupted system file or a corrupted app file or malware, etc.

I would go further and format the disk during the reinstallation. After choosing Custom Install, on the next screen choose Advanced (Disk) Options, highlight the Win 7 partition and choose format. In this way if the problem is related to malware, it will be formatted out in most cases.

There are many times where the time spent to T/S a problem is much more involved and time consuming than a reinstallation including having to reinstall all your apps.

After getting everything back to where it should be operating correctly start creating Images of your system. There are many discussions on Imaging in the maintenance forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    repairing everything would likely fix this and the sp1 problem -- but i don't keep any discs at all so i can't burn the iso -- so im stuck with this :/

thanks though

Lounger
    Thanks
    oh and that was defintely a corrupted system file

Thanks
    Would downloading the Win 7 with SP1 ISO file help. Download the file, then burn it to DVD. Then you would indeed have a Win 7 installation disk. The installation media can also be used instead of the Repair Disk to access Repair My Computer.

Just borrow or buy a DVD. Otherwise you are likely in for a long, frustrating time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    after the dll was replaced with the extracted one from the .iso, the sfc scan still says the same thing, that it's missing and corrupted..

"long, frustrating time" -- yep that's what happened when i tried to solved these problems; for the sp1 problem, it's ok. i just ignored everythign and everything fine now =) yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy