Thanks

Dynamic volumes?

My laptop came configured with 3 partitions on the one drive: the "C" drive, an "HP Tools" partition, and a Recovery partition.

I backed up the disk when I first got it [via Acronis True Image], and have made several changes since, so the "revert to factory" would do me little good.

So, I wanted to set up a new partition to store setup files. But when I tried to do that in Disk Management, "it" told me the volume(s) would be converted to dynamic volumes.

I [sort of] understand what dynamic volumes are, but do I really need them or want to convert them to dynamic?

When I tried setting up the volume using Partition Wizard v7, it said I was out of MBR entries. How many MBR entries am I allowed?

Am I really limited in how many partitions I can set up?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    4 Primary partitions per MBR disk. The workaround for that is to create an extended partition from one of the primary partitions with however many logical partitions one wishes to have within that extended partition.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    You likely have a hidden partition (a small one, which you probably need), which brings the total to 4. To create an extended partition, you must first delete one of the primary partitions (I'm assuming you mean the "revert to factory" partition).

However, if you only want to change that partition to one for your own use, and have no plans of adding more partitions later, simply deleting that partition will result in 3 primary partitions and unallocated space. You can then create another primary partition of that unallocated space for your own use.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    OK, I get the max number part. So then, where/how do I control that it is extended and not primary?

Then, I come back to the question of the dynamic volumes that Windows says it is going to convert to next. Do I gain/lose anything in that process? Is there a way to control THAT?

And, where/how do I tell Windows that I want a partition to be extended and not primary?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am by no means an expert concerning your problem but did find the following site which might be helpful to you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-N...led/m-p/742019

Rich

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You probably don't want dynamic; that makes it possible to span with other disks. This blurb from MiniTool PW site should help, don't know how much I trust MiniTool myself these days; it's let me down a couple times recently and messing with partitions is no time for that.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    I'm surprised. Partition Wizard has worked marvelously for me each time I have used it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My fool me once fool me twice was with XP, first time I was just testing and backed out without applying any changes; according to me, not according to MiniTool(8.0) because it didn't recognize the system partition on reboot. Second time I applied to extend a system partition (apply changes in safe runtime) and the reboot bluescreened (normal, safe and command line) right about when MiniTool should have taken over. The one occasion I used it to align a partition it work alright.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Partition Wizard has worked marvelously for me each time I have used it
    Partition Wizard should show both hidden and visible partitions. It should also give the option to hide/unhide each.
    Michael