2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer gets sluggish, then shuts down when I close Chrome

This seems to happen if it's been running for a while. I don't think core temp is an issue it's doesn't get about 100° F under heavy load and I've checked the memory. It happens I've been closing tabs in Chrome to get ready to close it. when I go to close Chrome it crashes the computer. On my machine when Chrome is open it uses a lot of memory. This is the only time it does this.

XP SP3
    MB Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H F2
    AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2511 MHz
    4 GB memory

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Nice CPU, mine is older and is only a 2x version (5200+).

But why Chrome? My software guru told me it's a piece of crap, so I've just avoided it like the plague.
    It does occasionally crawl in, under the door, with some other program, like a virus. I delete it as soon as I find it.

Besides, I've been using Firefox, since it was first released several years ago now, as a Beta version.

Over one million of us, downloaded ver. 1.0 on the first day it was released. I've been really happy with it ever since.

Why not give it a try?
    http://windowsforum.com/resources/mo...date?update=24

You can get add-ons for it to make it do anything you want.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-09-15 at 18:32.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    It seems that you know that Chrome is causing it, but you may want to know if it causes it because it interacts with something else, like the graphic card or similar. You can try and install BlueScreenView, as it may give you a better idea of what is the module responsible for the crash.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It doesn't go to blue screen. It acts as if the computer was just turned on.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Check c:\windows\minidump and see if there are files in there.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    It could have been corrupted, by some Spyware, Trojan or Virus.

I had that very thing, with Firefox, on a computer I was working on lately.

FF was obviously corrupted, so I first uninstalled it, using the Revo Uninstaller.

Then I ran every scan I could on that HD and removed all sorts of Toolbars, Spyware, BHO's* and Adware.

Finally when I was sure that the HD was clean, I again installed the latest version of Firefox and it worked flawlessly. Job done.

That same technique may work with Chrome as well.

* The only program I have that will display BHO's and allow me to delete them is "Spybot Search and Destroy, ver. 1.6.2". It's FREE, by the way.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-09-19 at 12:41.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib there aren't any dump files.

I just scanned the computer and fixed what problems I had. I haven't tried re-installing Chrome.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the normal course of events I wouldn't think that an application like a browser should be able to crash XP, even if you're running as an administrator. So the first thing that comes to my mind is that you might want to run a memory diagnostic (memtest86+ or the like) to see whether some of your RAM is bad that only a memory-hog like Chrome usually manages to hit (edit: whoops - just reread your post and it seems you may already have done this). Some RAM problems can be fixed just by re-seating the modules to make sure they're making good contact with the motherboard slots.

Running sfc /scannow (as an administrator) to check the integrity of your system files wouldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-09-21 at 22:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well same goes here but all was fixed since i used tuneup utilities