4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

external drive enclosure system

My friend has an XP SP3 computer that has been sitting in her house unused for a couple of years and it doesn't boot up, no beeps, no video and she told me she has always had many problems when she was using it and doesn't want to keep this computer.
    --- However there are pictures on there that she would like to get

I removed the hard drive and I'd like to connect it to an XP computer that I have to see if I can extract the pictures for her
    --- I have read that there are external enclosures to hold an external drive but I can't see how to connect the sytem together so I need to know what I need to get and advice on how to make it work

The hard drive she has is a WD Caviar Enhanced IDE 80 GB Drive Model WD800-75CAA0

Thanks
    Cmptrgy,

You don't even need an enclosure just an external HD USB adapter.

Something like this.

Note: I'm not endorsing either this particular device and or seller it is just for reference. I have similiar adapters from another company that work just great. Of course I've had them for quite a while and paid a lot more then. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-09-17)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Your right, why use an enclosure since all I want to do is get the pictures off the drive for her. I'm not a cable guy but that item you pointed out to me makes sense to me

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just one caution: Be careful of virus in the old drive.

Log on to host PC as simple user first, not as administrator or user with administrator rights.
    Make sure there is no autorun file(s) in the old drive. Or the host PC disable auto run.
    Infection could be possible by simply plugging in USB drive, be it hard drive or thumb drives.

The old hard drive seems not working properly. It could be OS problem or infection (assuming the hard drive itself is OK).
    Also some picture files could carry virus.
    Do a virus scan on the old hard drive, to save time, only on the files that you want to salvage.
    Not until then I would copy them to host PC. Better, copy them to another USB device, or burn them to DVD. Then you can transport them. No need to store them in your own PC. Less work. And less danger (of infection).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-09-18)

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    My friend has an XP SP3 computer that has been sitting in her house unused for a couple of years and it doesn't boot up, no beeps, no video and she told me she has always had many problems when she was using it and doesn't want to keep this computer.
    --- However there are pictures on there that she would like to get
    • Have her (your friend) spring for an external enclosure compatible with the drive in question. Go for an eSATA cable if your and her working computers have such a connector, otherwise a USB cable.

• Copy the pictures and whatever else she wants off that drive to your computer.

• Wipe or (low format and) format that external drive.

• Put the pictures and whatever else back.

• Give the external drive back to her for continued use. (80 GB is a lot of room for pictures, so why should she discard a perfectly good external hard disk?)

P.S. Use all anti-malware procedures at your disposal.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got to connect her hard drive to my XP computer just fine. Even though it was an easy thing to do, since I'm not a hardware person, I'm glad I could learn that
    Anyway her pictures were not on the hard drive; now she tells me they were not in her pictures folder but some program she was using on the internet: she doesn't know the name of the program but she does know it wasn't Snapfish. Oh well

Now on the hard drive, how can I wipe it clean to be used as an external backup?
    --- Right now the hard drive is partitioned into 2 "drives", and I prefer to clean it and section it as only 1 partition
    ------ Sorry I have to learn hard drive description in order to explain what I'm trying to say
    --- She has a Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit I don't know yet) but if she agrees to it I'd like to set it up so she can at least back up her data on it
    --- Is that possible?