Star Lounger
    Thanks

VAIO & Win8 - why is video so poor (rated 2.0)

I'm the guy who came around several months ago with questions about reviving a dead VAIO laptop computer belonging to my son. Finally got that all straightened out, thanks to guys at Lounge. I installed Win 8 and figured everything was copacetic.

Since it is not my primary computer, I did not have a lot of cause to use the VAIO so I set it aside. I got it out the other day to check on it and in the process I ran that Windows app that "rates" the speed, power, etc., of the computer. You know, the one where it tells you it will rate the computer as highly as your lowest component.

I was shocked when I saw this big, robust laptop rated only a 2.0. That was because it rated the video component at only 2.0.

I haven't done anything since that score came in. What I would appreciate is some opinion on the value of continued work on the VAIO. I plan to see if there is a new video driver that might help. If it does not help, I don't know what to do. I know you guys feel better with more information than I have supplied tonight. I am just looking for a friendly tip - is it worth my time? Can this machine be restored to its ever-lovin' glory of 6-7 years ago?

Thanks.

Jack in Phoenix
    laeva65@gmail.com

Thanks
    I think it's definitely worth your time if you want to learn all about computers!

We'll do our best to help you here at Windows Secrets.

On the other hand, if you don't have time to spare, put Windows 7 on it and be done with it. It will probably run just fine with Windows 7, without your having to track down what is causing it to run so slow. It's probably a driver or two that aren't compatible with Windows 8. Hopefully you can find compatible drivers, but it's possible you won't be able to. That's why I'm suggesting that you go to Windows 7 -- you'll likely have a much quicker and easier time of getting everything in good working order.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's just a generic driver one may be able to squeeze out more performance with a more specific driver. On the other hand, laptops usually are weak on graphic power even when new, the exceptions being custom builds like Area51 laptops designed for mobile gaming. From my experience 2.0 sounds about right for an old laptop. No big deal really since it would not be good for any somewhat demanding video card tasks anyway. Judge by how responsive the desktop is and 2D programs work when you drag them around quickly and scroll and such.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    My Vaio laptop has a graphics index of 5.4. I have an ATI graphics processor (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650) with, I believe, 512 Mb VRAM. I would definitely check on a driver issue.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    With the model number, we may be able to provide better help, but it's not unusual for older pc's to have not so good video hardware. The question you need to ask yourself is whether, even with such rating, the laptop does what it is supposed to do. If it does, then the rating doesn't mean much. I think Microsoft is dropping such ratings from Windows in Win 8.1.
    Rui
    -------
    R4