Thread: Internet speeds

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet speeds

my current cable connection is 3 Mbps download and 256kbps upload. Speed test sites usually rate the download higher. Recently received a dsl offer of up to 12 Mbps for what I am paying for cable. My cable connection has been annoying since I downgraded to the lower speed to save money. Will the dsl be better or at least the same as what I am getting from cable. Currently IE locks up and things don't work when I click on them.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 1,052 Posts
    At first sight, it would seem the DSL offer is much better, but I would try to know what the provider ensures as a minimum, which will depend on your distance to their hub.The farther you are, the smaller will be the bandwidth you can effectively use.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-09-20),xyiegphriedt (2013-09-16)

Thanks
    The IE lockup is more of an issue than download speeds, you need to give us further details on that; IE is deeply tied into Windows and it may be indicative of a deeper problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, definitely agree with satrow. No matter how slow your Internet speed, IE shouldn't be locking up on you. As a test, you might want to download Google Chrome to browse for a while as there could be a nasty IE add-in that is creating problems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cgibney For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2013-09-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I occasionally use Chrome, but have use IE so long and am comfortable with it so it is usually my first choice, when I have problems I revert to Chrome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    With IE, many lockup issues are becuase of add-ons. Have you tried running IE with add-ons disabled?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xyiegphriedt View Post
    my current cable connection is 3 Mbps download and 256kbps upload. Speed test sites usually rate the download higher. Recently received a dsl offer of up to 12 Mbps for what I am paying for cable. My cable connection has been annoying since I downgraded to the lower speed to save money. Will the dsl be better or at least the same as what I am getting from cable. Currently IE locks up and things don't work when I click on them.
    Since your cable Internet is slow and gets a chance to migrate to DSL in same price with higher speed, I recommend you to do so. However, it is better to read reviews about your new DSL ISP and confirm their users get what they are offered.

I occasionally use Chrome, but have use IE so long and am comfortable with it so it is usually my first choice, when I have problems I revert to Chrome.
    So it is the problem with your IE, not the Internet connection. Delete the cache and cookies, try IE ad check if the issue persists.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried running IE with add-ons disabled?Joe
    This is a good suggestion. Have you tried IE without addons ?
    Last edited by colex; 2014-02-24 at 10:03.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your current cable plan is 3 Mbps download and 256kbps upload
    --- You mention cable connections: since I don't like to assume, does this mean you are wired and are not working wirelessly?
    --- What are the actual Upload/Download speeds on your computer?
    --- What was it before and did you have any problems with IE back then: not necessarily lockups - slow connections, 404 can't connect issues, all of the above or anything else?
    --- What version of IE are you using?
    --- Did your IE locking up start immediately when you switched?
    ------ The speeds you mention shouldn't be the cause of the annoyance you are seeing, but if the actual speeds are much less than that it could be the issue.
    ------ I know: what does much less than that mean? Let's find out what your numbers are first to see if it will help us determine that

I have DSL and I have the cheapest plan.
    --- My Download/Upload speeds are 2.85 Mbps. 0.70 Mbps and I do not have any issues with my IE 8
    --- BTW, can someone tell me what 0.70 Mbps is in kbps?

I agree it appears that IE issues need to be addressed but I think it's good to know whether or not its a new problem
    --- There is an IE Fix-It if you want to try it; I just don't have the link to it right now

On the DSL up to 12 Mbps, do you know anyone in your neighborhood who has DSL and you can ask them about their experience with DSL?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    --- BTW, can someone tell me what 0.70 Mbps is in kbps?
    0.70 Mbps = 716.8 Kbps
    0.70 Mbps = 89.6 KBps

What's the difference?

Kbps = kilobits per second
    KBps = kilobytes per second

This also applies to Mbps and MBps.

It takes 8 bits to equal a byte.

It's basically an advertising ploy by ISP's to make you think your connection is faster than what it really is.
    If your ISP is advertising a download connection speed of 12 Mbps (megabits), you're actually getting 1.5 MBps (megabytes).

BTW! A great little utility for these conversion queries is Josh Madison's Convert for Windows. It's free.
    Last edited by Hawk; 2013-09-19 at 06:00.
    Hawk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-09-19)

Lounger
    Thanks
    AIUI, the overhead associated with each packet of data means that you typically need ~10 bits to transmit a byte, so 1 Mbps = 1,000,000 b/s ~= 100,000 bytes/s (B/s) = 97.6 kB/s = 0.095 MB/s. So the overhead roughly cancels the broadband supplier industry's use of 1000 for kilo and 1e6 for mega.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-09-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was interested in the information "depend on your distance to their hub"
    --- On the speed test I did, the closest server is in NY and I live in MA
    --- I cannot find anything as to where Verizon's hub is up here?
    Is there a way I can find out or do I have to call Verizon to find out?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I was interested in the information "depend on your distance to their hub"
    --- On the speed test I did, the closest server is in NY and I live in MA
    --- I cannot find anything as to where Verizon's hub is up here?
    Is there a way I can find out or do I have to call Verizon to find out?
    Not that I know of, I'm afraid.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-09-20)

Thanks
    I have been very lucky with my internet speeds for many years.I have always gotten a lot more speed than I pay for,although I don't upload many things it is still nice to have speed to load pages. I remember back in the day when to see the images on a web page could take several minutes to load Thankfully speed and computing power seems to always get better as time goes on. Great site.
    MIKLO