3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vertical Lookups (SR1, NT)

I am trying to use a vlookup to extract information from one file into another. The vlookup works perfectly and does everything I want it to do when I have put together sample files.

However, the file I want to use it in has thousands of rows. The lookup SEEMS to be working, as long as I don't put in a pattern match. When I use the range_lookup argument it doesn't work.

I'm trying to use:
    =vlookup(A2,'Filename.xls!CodeTable',2,FALSE)

Does anyone know if there is a row limit with vlookup?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vertical Lookups (SR1, NT)

In what way doesn't it work?
    Are the data sorted properly?

ruth

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ruth,
    The first column in the table contains alphanumeric codes and we have sorted this in ascending order.

When we use a lookup without the range_lookup argument it appears to work as if the range_lookup was set to FALSE. That is, it finds the exact match. When we use the range_lookup and set it to FALSE (expecting to get exact matches) we get #N/A even when we know there is a match.

Confused? I certainly am!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you omit the range_lookup argument, it treats it as if you had entered TRUE and vlookup therefore finds the closest match. When you enter False, it searches for an exact match and that, as I understand it, is your problem. The exact match comes up empty.

What is the source of the data either in your lookup table or in your spreadsheet you are getting the lookup value from? If any of it was imported, try taking it times 1 with a paste special multiply. We've had it where we've even had to do this with text on imported data before...

We've had some pretty lengthy lookup tables before, and I'm not aware of any kind of limit on their length. How many thousands are you talking about?