Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New scam?

New Lounger
    Thanks

New scam?

I've been getting a few phone calls lately, from "tech companies" (yesterday they said they were Microsoft themselves) telling me my computer has been hacked and they want to do something or other. I just hung up on the guy who sounded like he was from India. The night before I did the full scan with the Microsoft Security that Woody recommended. It was completely clean. The computer acts pretty much the same as it usually does. Anyone else get any of this?
    marshallman

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've heard of it but not experienced it. I tell people that Microsoft will not initiate a phone call. No reputable firm will try to solicit business this way. If you have a firewall on the PC and a router that has a firewall there is no way someone on the outside will know if your PC is hacked unless you tell them or they've actually hacked it. Your scan was a good idea. Since it was clean you are most likely fine.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

marshallman (2013-08-02)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This was covered by the FBI in January and Fred Langa in February: Security alert: Bogus tech-support phone calls

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

marshallman (2013-08-02)

Thanks
    Snopes reports this sort of scam from August 2009.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

marshallman (2013-08-02)

Thanks
    My mother received one of these a couple of weeks ago. "I'm from MS and your PC has lots of problems." She said no it's not and they hung up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

marshallman (2013-08-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thank everyone for their input. some of the info must have been up long before I knew about this site. Seeing that people who actually wanted Microsoft's help have to wait forever to get it, I thought it was strange they would call me out of all the millions of users out there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been getting these calls for years. At one point, several years ago, they were especially active, one a day or so. The phone went, "I'm calling from Microsoft . . . . ". I cut him off as usual, "Yes, and I'm the Queen of Sheba".

Then, a frightful, red-faced moment, because I had an open issue with Microsoft, and this REALLY WAS Microsoft calling. We had a good laugh about it; this was not the first time that he had been confused with a fake.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-08-13),mrjimphelps (2013-08-03)

Thanks
    So Microsoft believed who you were, then?!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    I have been getting these calls for years. At one point, several years ago, they were especially active, one a day or so. The phone went, "I'm calling from Microsoft . . . . ". I cut him off as usual, "Yes, and I'm the Queen of Sheba".

Then, a frightful, red-faced moment, because I had an open issue with Microsoft, and this REALLY WAS Microsoft calling. We had a good laugh about it; this was not the first time that he had been confused with a fake.
    That's the first time I've ever heard of one of these calls being legitimate!

Thanks
    IN this case the OP had actually started a case with MS with a problem. That was indeed quite a coincidence, LOL!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A scam indeed, but it's nothing new. In this scheme, the scammers call you and claim to be from Microsoft. Then they tell you there's a problem with your computer and offer to help or try to sell you a software license. But truth is, they're only after the access to your computer. Once they have that, they might install malwares that could capture sensitive data, such as personal and financial information. They might also take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings to leave your computer vulnerable. Be aware that Microsoft do not make cold calls to charge you for computer security or software fixes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Several people have received a call like that, too. You can find complaints posted at Callercenter.com about how the scammers tried to steal the victim's money and luckily, most of them did not succeed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We have had several of these calls, usually intercepted by my wife, who simply says "That's funny we don't have a computer" (we have) at which point they instantly hang up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This scam has been doing the rounds in Australia for quite a while. The caller claims to be from Microsoft, or either of our main telcos - Telstra or Optus. Several weeks ago my wife handed me the phone saying that the caller reckoned she had a problem with her computer. When I asked him what was wrong with it, he said it had some viruses and malware on it. I said "Oh sh..t,what are they and how bad is it". He then, rattled off a list of backdoors, trojans, and viruses. I then acted in a panic mode and asked for details of each one. It took maybe 10 minutes of me questioning him. Then I asked him how to fix it. I was told to immediately go to a certain site, download and install the cleaner program at a cost equivalent to $US45. I told him that that would be a bit difficult as my car was in for a service. He wanted to know what the car had to do with fixing a computer. So I told him I needed it to go and buy my wife a computer, as she didn't have one. I think the phone line melted with his comments :-) I assume he was on an international call, so it would have cost him a lot more than the program he wanted me to buy.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fooman For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-08-13),mrjimphelps (2013-08-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    So Microsoft believed who you were, then?!
    I invited him to give me the reference number of the issue that I had opened, which he did. You can't be too careful!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast