3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pivot Table - Grand Total for Rows

I've got a simple set of data which I want to summarize in a Pivot Table. There are only two fields that I want added together for each record. The Pivot Table sums down the two columns but I can't the sum the two fields for each record (across each row).

In PivotTable Options-Totals & Filters both check boxes for Grand Totals are checked.
    In PT Tools-Design-Report Layout is set to Show In Tabluar Form.

I can toggle the column totals on and off by clicking on PT Tools-Design-Grand Totals and selecting On for Rows and Columns and then Off. But the row totals don't work. I exited and then re-started Excel and the file but still can't get the Rows to Total. I even re-booted the pc and tried again.

I know I can create a formula to to this but why won't Excel obey the options I select to add across the rows? Has Excel made a decision about my data that I shouldn't add these two fields?

What's up with that? I can resort to simple math, of course, and just add the columns manually, but I'm afraid I'm missing something just as simple.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

If you could post a sample file I'm sure we could work out why things are as they are, and give you a solution for fixing your row totals.

zeddy

Thanks
    Row totals are per field, not a grand total for all fields (which often wouldn't make sense). If you need a total of separate fields, you can create a calculated field that adds the two together.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rory. I've created PT formulas before. But I've also seen the rows automatically summed.

Thanks
    Not if they are separate fields.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel