Thanks

SATA to SSD procedure?

Is there a step by step post somewhere ------------ I use easy todo backup free version 4.5 and I get brain freeze-up when I think about the up-grade to SSD ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jag,

IMHO the easiest way (although it may not seem so) is to pull the SATA (HDD) drive and Install the SSD (it's also an SATA drive btw) from scratch reloading Windows . This will insure that Windows set all the appropriate settings like turning off Defrag, etc. Once Windows in reinstalled reinstalled you can put your old drive back in as the second drive and then repartition it and setup a small partition for the swap file and the rest as your USER/DATA partition. You can then move either just your Documents folder or your whole USER folder over to the old drive (depending on how brave you are ... See BBearren's posts on the subject. Now restore your Documents from the backup and then reinstall all your programs (either on the SSD or HDD your choice).

Ok, I've put on my asbestos underwear, let me have it! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When I bought mine from Crucial, I just bought their install kit - a cable and some software. The cable allowed me to connect the SSD to an USB port, the software cloned the disk without any trouble whatsoever. For the cost (12 or similar), was well worth the cost, for the hassle it saved me.

Of course, being a SATA drive, you can connect it internally, and then use Easy Todo to clone your existing disk. Step 2 on this article states that you need to check EaseUS Todo Optimize for SSD box.

You can skip the other parts of the article, unless it fits your scenario.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    IMHO the easiest way (although it may not seem so) is to pull the SATA (HDD) drive and Install the SSD (it's also an SATA drive btw) from scratch reloading Windows . This will insure that Windows set all the appropriate settings like turning off Defrag, etc
    RG, Windows 8 will recognize an SSD cloned (or imaged) from a rotating disk and install all the appropriate settings. I cloned my laptop hard drive to an SSD and Win 8 recognized the SSD , making the appropriate settings. Save a lot of time reinstalling things

Jerry

Thanks
    That explains it fully and---

Thanks to all !!