Thread: OCR Software

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

OCR Software

I am looking for OCR software that can convert scanned documents into an Excel document neatly

Your comments/inputs are appreciated

Thanks
    I do not know of anything good that is "free". I use Nuance's "Omnipage Professional" (currently using Version 18) and have found it excellent (but it is not cheap!!). The program scans tables and exports the results in tabular form, suitable for use in spreadsheet applications. Each page is placed in a separate worksheet. I have successfully scanned tables into MS Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 with very reliable results.

If you wish to try something "free", the program "FreeOCR" has received a positive review; but I stress I have not used it. It also seems that it only performs Character Recognition, which suggests to me that it will not be able to export into Excel. Here is a link to read about it and download the program if you wish to try it:
    http://download.cnet.com/FreeOCR/300...-10717191.html

Another possible source for free/paid OCR software claimed to be able to export into Excel is here:

http://www.supershareware.com/ocr-into-excel-free/

But once again, I have not tried any of the software myself.

Good luck!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

HowardC (2013-09-17)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated

Howard

Thanks
    Didn't your scanner come with a OCR application?

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a cheap flatbed scanner, so I doubt it. We have other scanners at work, that may have OCR applications. Will check this out