Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials

I was wondering whether MSE is sufficient protection for viruses for work PC's
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-09-16 at 23:30. Reason: moved from Windows 7 Forum

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Yes, as part of a multi-layered defense system. Although, depending on the number of PCs you may want to consider a tool with centralized management capabilities if the budget will support it.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe

Thanks for the input

Howard

Thanks
    I don't believe that MSE is free for business use, unless you have only a few computers. If you have to pay anyway, you might want to try something better than MSE.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I believe the number is 10 business PCs on which MSE can legally be installed.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise

There are several good commercial anti-virus programs. i just need to decide which one is best. I know that Avast & Mcafee are pretty good

Howard

Thanks
    I am currently testing Trend Micro. It was highly rated by PC World, as I recall. So far, I like it. It is very unobtrusive -- you hardly know it's there.

The only complaint I have about it is that I haven't found a way to set more than one schedule, so that I can run a quick scan each night and a full scan once a week. But that's a minor complaint, and easy to work around -- once a week, before I leave for work, I manually kick off a full scan.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I prefer recommendations by people using the software

Administrator
    Thanks
    We used Vipre for business for a number of years. It was very reasonably priced and seemed to do a good job. When we decided to go with Windows Intune we discontinued Vipre since a/v is part of the Intune service.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I recommend Emsisoft Antimalware. It's a top notch anti-malware app, with two engines and heuristic detection. It's a regular at the top of AV comparatives.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Howard, if I am working on someone's computer, and I feel that that person doesn't have much of a clue about these sorts of things, I always put Microsoft Security Essentials, because although it isn't rated that high, nothing is easier to use. You set it and forget it. In this way, the customer has some protection, and it's not likely to stop working.

Also, it's free.

But if they do have some awareness of these issues, and I feel that they will keep up with it, I will recommend something better, such as one of the products mentioned here.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advise

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to agree with mrjimphelps that MSE is really good for naive users because it really requires no attention after installation, so those who never update anything have at least some protection. I have seen many folks who had something like Norton AV on their machine, and were sure that they were protected. It does not take long to find out that it was a demo version which expired 90 days after they got the computer six years ago, and that it has not been updated since.

Anyway, MSE is free and requires no user attention - that makes it good for some users even if it is not the very best for detection and removal, because it is better than nothing at all.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I run MSE on a netbook/WIN7 Pro and an XP box, as well as on a couple of my relatives' XP boxes. No issues.
    I also run Norton Internet Security on XP, Vista and WIN7 Pro. No issues there either. Been using Norton forever, it seems ;-)
    When Norton license expires, I buy a 3-PC older version off Amazon (a lot cheaper). License Key works for existing installations, and there's an automatic update to the current version for both existing and new installs.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated