Thanks

xp wont regognize me as an administrator

hi

xp wont recognize me as an administrator. i try to restart pc with only services and basics running through ms config, error says i need to be an administrator to do so. i have looked and i still appears that i am one

there are no other accts and i do realize that it my be better for security to use the pc as a guest to stop unscheduled installs

xp pro sp3

any ideas
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Qaz,

You can start the machine in Safe Mode and then select the master administrator account and maybe you can reset your normal account by setting it to limited then back to Administrator. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-09-17)

Thanks
    sorry. i dont really get all that can u explain, but first id rather [first] go over the settings as i suspect i mis read them some where,,,there was a bit of guess work.............if u have time that is

or is this a known problem?

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-09-17 at 14:08.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Qaz,

There is really only one setting.
    Control Panel -> User Accounts

Once there you should see all the accounts on the machine (with the exception of the Master Administrator account).

Each account will be labeled with an Icon, Name and Access level (Administrator or Limited). If your main account shows Limited you change it to an administrator account. However, you can't do that from here!

Here's the procedure to fix this:
    1. Restart the computer
    2. When the screen goes black and starts to reboot them repeatedly press the F8 key until you receive the Boot Menu.
    3. One of the options will be Safe Mode.
    4. Select Safe Mode and allow the machine to boot.
    5. At some point in the process you will get the option to pick an account and one of them will be labeled Administrator. Select this account.
    6. When booting finishes you can go back to Control Panel -> User Accounts
    7. Select your regular log-on account and change it to an Administrator level account.
    8. While you are at it this would also be a good time to put a password on the Master Administrator account to prevent others with access to your computer from doing nasty stuff via this account.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    thanks ....will do in morning and tell u what happened

Thanks
    For all Windows OS's from XP to Win-8.1, there is a program (registry script) that I declare is an absolute "MUST HAVE".
    And, that would be "Grant Admin Full Control".

It's a registry script, that you only run once and it installs itself into your Right Click Drop Down Menu.

Then you can right click on any file or folder, except your root folder, [ C:\ ] and Grant (yourself) Full Admin Control over that file or folder. Then you can do renames or deletes as you please, without getting that "You don't have permission" error message. I so hate that!!!

I won't set up any Windows PC, without installing that little script, as a part of my Setup procedure.
    Because I WILL be renaming or deleting some files.

To make it easier to get that program (script) I've put it on my own sharing site, for quick and easy access.
    https://app.box.com/s/hfjzhq3z64e2f475dvn1

Happy Computing!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Qaz,

There is really only one setting.
    Control Panel -> User Accounts

Once there you should see all the accounts on the machine (with the exception of the Master Administrator account).

Each account will be labeled with an Icon, Name and Access level (Administrator or Limited). If your main account shows Limited you change it to an administrator account. However, you can't do that from here!

Here's the procedure to fix this:
    1. Restart the computer
    2. When the screen goes black and starts to reboot them repeatedly press the F8 key until you receive the Boot Menu.
    3. One of the options will be Safe Mode.
    4. Select Safe Mode and allow the machine to boot.
    5. At some point in the process you will get the option to pick an account and one of them will be labeled Administrator. Select this account.
    6. When booting finishes you can go back to Control Panel -> User Accounts
    7. Select your regular log-on account and change it to an Administrator level account.
    8. While you are at it this would also be a good time to put a password on the Master Administrator account to prevent others with access to your computer from doing nasty stuff via this account.

HTH
    hi

i got round to doing that and im signed in as the administrator which is good , only other acct is for a guest to use.

how can i tell if there are more accts inadvertently created while messing around with it

i did try the suggested "Grant Admin Full Control"once but it made another unwanted change but will be useful in future

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-09-21 at 07:55.