Thanks

Interesting Windows 8.1 Pricing Information

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-price...99-7000020794/
    Some key items:

1. Windows 8.1 will cost $119.99. Windows 8.1 Pro will cost $199.99

2. Microsoft is offering "full version software at retail this time around. This means there's no requirement for users to be running a previous version of Windows in order to get these prices.

3. Those running Windows 7 who want to move to Windows 8.1 are going to have to reinstall their desktop apps, too

4. Microsoft is advising users that, even though their PCs running XP and Vista may be able to support Windows 8.1, they are not recommending they upgrade to Windows 8.1.

5. A couple of readers have noted that XP, Vista and Windows 7 users who want Windows 8.1 would save about $30 to $40 by buying a copy of Windows 8 now at retail and then moving to Windows 8.1 for free. There's nothing illegal about that. Might be a plan for some....

Jerry
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-09-17 at 16:17. Reason: Jerry, I bolded the tens digit because the 1st time I read it I thought they were the same!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    5. A couple of readers have noted that XP, Vista and Windows 7 users who want Windows 8.1 would save about $30 to $40 by buying a copy of Windows 8 now at retail and then moving to Windows 8.1 for free. There's nothing illegal about that. Might be a plan for some....
    I don't see the saving. Aren't Windows 8 upgrades now exactly the same price as Windows 8.1 full retail will be in a month?

Windows 8 Upgrade $119.99

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade $199.99

Pricing and Packaging for Windows 8.1

EDIT: Perhaps it depends where you buy a current upgrade from. You could apparently save $120 by buying Windows 8 Pro now from Amazon.com.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-09-17 at 19:22.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find it interesting how M$ flip-flopped between Win 8.0 and Win 8.1.

When 8.0 came out M$ did not offer a "full retail" version - only the upgrade version. They did offer a "System Builder" version but it could only be used on the system you built and installed it on.

Now with 8.1 they only offer full retail versions albeit at the same prices.